A tenant / the tenant at xxx

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
Hello

I'm wondering which of the following is correct.

Hello I'm a tenant at the first floor 31 xxxx street Ashfield.

Hello I'm the tenant at the first floor 31 xxxx street Ashfield.

I had the roof leaking quite a lot so I had to call my real estate agency but wasn't sure about it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    If there is only one tenant on that floor, you are the tenant.

If there are multiple tenants on that floor, you are a tenant. In that case, you might want to add more information, saying perhaps "the tenant in Apartment 2 on the first floor ..."

Two other things:

1. A tenant is not at a floor. I'd say "on," as in my last example above. Other words are also possible.

2. In the U.S. the first floor is the ground floor, but in many other places the first floor is the one above the ground floor. Make sure you use floor numbers in a way that your agency will understand.

heypresto

English - England
    Hello

If you are the only tenant of that address the second version would be OK, but even better would be to change it slightly to say ' . . . the tenant of . . . '

Hope that helps.

heypresto

English - England
    Seeing Egmont's post I think we need to know whether you are the tenant of the whole first floor, or the tenant of a flat or apartment on the first floor . . .

Scherle

Filipino, and English
    Hello

I'm wondering which of the following is correct.

Hello I'm a tenant at the first floor 31 xxxx street Ashfield.

Hello I'm the tenant at the first floor 31 xxxx street Ashfield. :tick:

I had the roof leaking quite a lot so I had to call my real estate agency but wasn't sure about it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you.
    If you want to introduce yourself to your real estate agency, the second sentence is correct.

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
    Thank you all. I'm the only tenant on this floor so it seems that I have to say the tenant.

Thank you again indeed.

< Previous | Next >