a term that expresses being collected several works

< Previous | Next >

rukiak

japanese
Hi.

I am trying to look for a term that expresses several works being collected such as a form of a magazine that contains several stories of several writers."

I came up with omnibus, but it seems especially for the one by one writer which have already been printed separately, according to a dictionary, so omnibus is not good one.

Do you know anything for this?

Last edited:
  • rukiak

japanese
    It looks like I have better specify the use.
    I am looking for a term for describing the form in such kind of magasines, like a monthly digest size fiction magazine including several works by several writers.

Last edited:

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    As you suggested, digest is one word you could use. You might also say anthology, but I don't think it is very good for a periodical.

rukiak

japanese
    Thank you for your advise tepatria and Nanty.

Then, how about "miscellany" or "miscellaneous", does it work?

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    If it's a periodical (monthly magazine) of short fiction by several authors, I would not use anthology, which is, as far as I know, restricted to books (of a longer sort), music compilations, etc. That is to say, it's a one-time thing (unless published in volumes, though even there, taken all together, it's one thing) as opposed to a "periodical" thing, which goes on and on.

Perhaps it would help to give us the sort of sentence you want to use it in. It might be better just to describe it in a more roundabout/pleonastic way than trying to find one succinct term.

Packard

USA, English
    If it's a periodical (monthly magazine) of short fiction by several authors, I would not use anthology, which is, as far as I know, restricted to books (of a longer sort), music compilations, etc...
    But the question was in reference to a book:

"I am trying to look for a term that expresses several works being collected such as a form of a book that contains several stories of several writers."

Nunty

But in post #3 he specifies "magazine".

Rukiak, can you give us some more information, please?

Packard

USA, English
    I missed the magazines reference.

In magazines they often refer to the "The" + topic for the issue.

For example:

• Car & Driver, The New Car Issue (an actual magazine and an actual issue).
    • Ladies Home Journal, The Summer Cooking Issue (an actual magazine and an invented issue).
    • Rukiak's Monthly, The Contemporary Fiction Issue (both magazine and issue are inventions of my imagination).

rukiak

japanese
    Perhaps it would help to give us the sort of sentence you want to use it in. It might be better just to describe it in a more roundabout/pleonastic way than trying to find one succinct term.
    Rukiak, can you give us some more information, please?
    http://www.strandmag.com/
    http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/current.htm
    http://pbq.drexel.edu/issue81/#image

What I want to know is a term or phrase, adjective or noun, which means "including several works by several writers".

For example:
    A) I am reading a literary magazine.
    B) Literary? Who is the writer? What is it like?
    C) Ah..it is XXX .
    XXX would express "several works by several writers are gathered and editted (in one magazine)."

Thank you.

Last edited:

Nunty

A "literary magazine" usually has works by several different authors. I don't see any reason to add an adjective.

rukiak

japanese
    OK so there is no prhase, term, noun or ajective in English, at least common one, to shortly express "having works by several different authors".

Thank you.

almostfreebird

Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés
    I think rukiak is talking about magazines like Astounding Stories or Astounding Science-Fiction.

I think it's called pulp magazine.

rukiak

japanese
    I think rukiak is talking about magazines like Astounding Stories or Astounding Science-Fiction.
    Thank you for your response, but No, I am not talking about that, and I am not looking for some name/genre of magazines. I am looking for some phrase or term that could be used like XXX below, if there is one.
    For example:
    A) I am reading a literary magazine.
    B) Literary? Who is the writer? What is it like?
    C) Ah..it is XXX .
    XXX would be adjective or short phrase/term that expresses "several works by several writers are gathered and editted (in one magazine)."
    It may be suitable, "collection", suggested by Packard #6, I think, because only it has not been denied by anyone.

Last edited:

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    But rukiak, the thing is, as Nunty already pointed out, a literary magazine already implies "works by several authors." So actually, line "B)" in your hypothetical dialogue would never occur.

In other words, if someone said, "I'm reading a literary magazine," no one would ask, "Who is the writer?" because it's already implied that there are multiple writers.

If anything, you'd ask something like:

- Who's in it? <-- this question expects an answer of multiple writers, e.g. Bill Jones, Amy Smith, Alan Johnson, etc.
    - Who are the contributing authors?
    - Which authors are featured?
    - Whose works are in it?

All of these ask about multiple authors.

rukiak

japanese
    But rukiak, the thing is, as Nunty already pointed out, a literary magazine already implies "works by several authors." So actually, line "B)" in your hypothetical dialogue would never occur.

In other words, if someone said, "I'm reading a literary magazine," no one would ask, "Who is the writer?" because it's already implied that there are multiple writers.

Nunty pointed out only about the example of literary magazine, not about magazines which consist of mystery stories by different authors , or of science fiction stories by different authors, linked at #11.

Moreover, even though there exist some word that implies including collective works, such as a literary magazine or The Summer Cooking Issue, those implication only works for people who is familiar with those magazines.

How about "collection" or "collective" for this case, brian. Does it work?

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I would be very surprised if I picked up a magazine and all the stories were by one author. I expect magazines to be a collection of articles or stories by different authors. It seems odd to make a special point of saying that it is.

Packard's examples show how magazines are titled if an issue of a magazine has a special theme. The titles indicate the type of content, not the number of authors who contribute.

Last edited:

Nunty

You asked about a literary magazine, so my answer related to that term.

If you are talking about a magazine that features works from various authors in a particular genre, then it would be a "[genre] magazine": science fiction, mystery, romance, true crime...

If you would be so kind as to tell us exactly what you are looking for, perhaps we could give you a precise answer. As it is, with the information you have provided, you have all the information we can give.

rukiak

japanese
    I would be very surprised if I picked up a magazine and all the stories were by one author. I expect magazines to be a collection of articles or stories by different authors. It seems odd to make a special point of saying that it is.
    I know what you say, but that is completely out of point.
    Don't mind about this thread.:)

You asked about a literary magazine, so my answer related to that term.
    No. at #9, you asked me to show more detail, and then at #11 I showed 3 examples by linked sites which are a mystery magazine,science fiction and literary one. And after that you mentioned about one of them. That is the history of this conversation. Pls check it back:).

In the USA I recall the Ellery Queen magazine for mystery. There were many more in the 40's and 50's but that predates me. I suppose you could Google "short fiction magazines" and see what they used on their covers.
    As I mentioned #15, I am never looking for words for the title of a magazine.
    Imagine about this, for example, when you talk to a child or teenager, you know what the magazine is like, but he doesn't know at all, even looking at the cover, in case it is a literary one, he may think it may be some critics about literary or authors, or it may be some talks among wrtiters, or it may contain some novel. There is many possibility, he thinks, so you explain him what it is like.

Anyway, thank you for explaining me a lot of things.

I believe I understand the situation. For a book which is not periodical, there are a few choices, anthology,compendium,collection and omnibus. It depends on the purpose. For a magasine which is periodical, collection may be the one. (because nobody has opposed that.)

Thank you all. :)

Last edited:

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    I still think you should tell us exactly what the thing is you want to describe, but if you're looking for a very general way of describing such a thing, then I suppose I'd suggest:

It's a periodical/monthly/quarterly/etc. collection of X's.

where X = sci-fi, mystery fiction, short stories, poems, news articles, academic essays, opinion articles, etc.

< Previous | Next >