a terrible mistake

< Previous | Next >

CaruraLeam

Italian
Hi there!
I am translating an Art History article and need to convey the idea of a terrible,awful mistake made by a painter.I am looking for a sort of word pun
Now,in Italian we usually use the following expression:
that's not just an error,it's a horror!
Do you reckon to have any special pun I could use to give that idea of "more than a terrible mistake"?

Thanks indeed.

• aes_uk

English - England
    if you really want to emphasise how terrible the mistake was, you could say "a catastrophic mistake" but I can't think of a good pun - sorry! Maybe if you give us some more detail about the mistake, someone might be able to come up with a good one.

aes_uk

English - England
    Without any further context, all I can suggest is that "art for art's sake" is a well-known saying about art, and you could replace "sake" with "mistake" so it would be "art for art's mistake". This may not be appropriate in the context though.

CaruraLeam

Italian
    Hey guys!Sorry,you're right!I didn't give much context!
    Well,we are talking about a painter who made anatomical flaws,perspective mistakes and so forth.The sentence could be
    "We better get straight to the point and show the catastrophic flaws/mistakes by highlighting them directly from the painting"
    Does it make sense?Could you match a very pungent pun???
    Thanks for the help you have given me so far though!!!!

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I can't think of anything, but a contextual question occurs to me: Are you talking about actual mistakes made by an amateur painter? Or—since you say you're translating an article dealing with art history—are you referring to deliberate anatomical and other distortions in a work by a skilled artist? (I'm thinking of Picasso and others of that period.) The answer to this question might be useful.

< Previous | Next >