A: Thank you.
B:
1. You are welcome.
2. Don't mention it.
3. It's alright.
4. No problem.
5. You bet.
6. No sweat.

I’ve consulted dictionaries, including an online slang dictionary. Sentences 1-4, instead of sentences 5-6, can be used in the above situation in dictionaries. What do you guys think of sentences 5-6?
According to your experience and knowledge, can sentences 5-6 be used in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

• NealMc

UK English
    Hola

I personally wouldn't use "you bet" as it's more of a response to the likes of:

Do you want ice cream?
    Do you want to play football with me?
    Would you like some Pepsi Max?

Number 6 works fine as a response to "thank you" (in informal English)

Cheers
    Neal Mc

andychen said:
    Hi, everyone,

B:
    1. You are welcome.
    2. Don't mention it.
    3. It's alright.
    4. No problem.
    5. You bet.
    6. No sweat.

I’ve consulted dictionaries, including an online slang dictionary. Sentences 1-4, instead of sentences 5-6, can be used in the above situation in dictionaries. What do you guys think of sentences 5-6?
    According to your experience and knowledge, can sentences 5-6 be used in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Andychen,

No. 5 makes no sense to me in response to "thank you".

No. 6 is AE, meaning "it's OK", so could be used.

Regards,
    LRV

marget

la reine victoria said:
    Absolutely not Sally. I doubt you would ever hear it over here. I always say, "You're welcome," and I'm sure most Brits would say the same.

I'd be interested to know if it is commonly used in the USA.

Regards,
    LRV
    No sweat isn't uncommon, but it is rather familiar. I'm sure I hear it.
    We also say any time.

se16teddy

English - England
    Until 20 years ago or so, 'you're welcome' was little heard in the UK as an automatic and unthinking response to 'thank you', but it is very much gaining ground now. Being an old fart, I still prefer the traditional 'Don't mention it', or 'It's a pleasure!' or 'It's no trouble!', or 'Delighted to help', or even 'Happy to be of service'.

I'm probably the oldest fart around!!!

<1875 “‘. . . but you kin go right along, only slow, though—very slow. The rest o’ the road’s all right—no trouble.’ ‘Thank you.’ ‘YOU’RE WELCOME. But, I say, tell me—I’m out now about two weeks–what’s the news?’”—‘Big Jack Small’ in ‘Overland Monthly and Out West Magazine,’ Issue 5, May, page 447>

<1907 “‘Thank you,’ said the girl, with a pleasant smile. ‘YOU’RE QUITE WELCOME,’ said the skipper.”—‘Short Cruises’ by W. W. Jacobs, ii. page 34>

LRV

Kevman

USA English
    Heh! I'm going to buck the trend here, but maybe as the day goes on more Americans will agree with me.:)

Although I find both 5 and 6 acceptable, I personally would be more likely to say "You bet."

"No sweat" seems to me a better response if someone asks me to do something, rather than an answer to "Thank you."

However, "No sweat" to me is completely synonymous with "No problem", and "No problem" happens to be the response I use most frequently for "Thank you." Now that's just weird!

french4beth

US-English
    Kevman said:
    Heh! I'm going to buck the trend here, but maybe as the day goes on more Americans will agree with me.:) You bet, Kevman!

Although I find both 5 and 6 acceptable, I personally would be more likely to say "You bet."

"No sweat" seems to me a better response if someone asks me to do something, rather than an answer to "Thank you."

However, "No sweat" to me is completely synonymous with "No problem", and "No problem" happens to be the response I use most frequently for "Thank you." Now that's just weird!
    I usually say "My pleasure" or "Any time" or "No problem" - "No sweat" isn't used as often in AE any more, in my opinion.

dylanG3893

CA
    United States

B:
    1. You are welcome. = the best response
    2. Don't mention it. = an okay response if you did something nice
    3. It's alright. = bad response, Thank you isn't an 'are you ok?' or 'was it an inconvience' response!
    4. No problem. = Its okay, I wouldnt go with it for most situations
    5. You bet. = Absolutly confusing! Dont use it!
    6. No sweat. = Again, bad one!!!!

Hope I helped!

river

U.S. English
    I hear "You bet" more than "No sweat," but I don't hear either one very often.

Isn't "anytime" one word in this case?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Big Tick for DylanG.

But when it comes down to it, this is one of those situations where the words used are almost irrelevant. Body language and tone of voice tell it all.

You're welcome, with automatic, apathetic insincerity, is much, much worse than a shrug and a genuine smile.

Sincerity is everything.

Kevman

USA English
    french4beth said:
    You bet, Kevman!
    Ha! Hey quit trying to confuse us, Beth! :) :)

Interesting how the last four on the list are general phrases of assent or agreement which can also be used in this case, but the first two are specific idiomatic responses to "Thank you".

"Any time/anytime" is also extremely common, but I'd say it falls under the category of specific responses to "thank you" rather than general assent. (Either spelling is acceptable to me, but there's probably some rule...:rolleyes: )

jiamajia

Mandarin
    How about " Sure." ?

I think I got the response in New York once. Is it common? Thank you.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think I've heard that before, jiamajia. This sounds like something that's along the lines of 'You bet'.

I'm an old fart too and go for 'My pleasure' or 'Not a problem' (rather than 'You're welcome'). And it's not always necessary to say anything. I also go for panj's shrug and smile (post 21) and silence.

jiamajia

Mandarin
    I think I've heard that before, jiamajia. This sounds like something that's along the lines of 'You bet'.

I'm an old fart too and go for 'My pleasure' or 'Not a problem' (rather than 'You're welcome'). And it's not always necessary to say anything. I also go for panj's shrug and smile (post 21) and silence.
    Thank you. It just popped in my head that people would say 'not at all' in response to 'thank you'. Does it still work?

< Previous | Next >