"a thanks note/thank you note" as a subject (email)

brighthope

Japanese
Hi,
Is it appropriate to put "a thank you note" or "a thanks note" as a subject line when you write a...well, thanks note (email)?

I Googled and I found several websites talking about what a good subject line for a thank you note. They are mostly for situations like a job interview, and I didn't find any suggesting just "a thanks note" itself as a subject line.

I thought it may not be appropriate at least for a job interview situation. However, (if that's the case) I wonder if it is because it's too direct and/or not formal enough for a job interview but it can be used for some other situations, or it is just "strange" or "unnatural" language/English-wise.

Also, is it appropriate (or natural) to say something like "Hello, it is a thank you note from so-and-so for your work yesterday." etc. in the email body? I found some examples like that online but as I have learned the hard way here :p, I know this fact alone doesn't mean it is appropriate or a natural usage.

Thanks!
(Oh and I will make sure to write a thanks note(s) after your reply/replies :D)

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I would never refer to a thank-you note as a "thanks note." You could call it a"note of thanks," if you wanted an alternative.

Personally, I wouldn't use either in the subject line of an e-mail, but that's a matter of personal choice. I'd probably just title it "thank you."

brighthope

Japanese
    Thank you for your reply Florentia52.

Is not referring to a thank-you note as a "Thanks note" also your personal preference?
    I take it that I could still use "a thank you note" for the subject of an email without sounding strange or unnatural (=personal choice. Please let me know if it's wrong), although I will just use "thank you" instead to make it simple.

Thank you! :)

Chez

English English
    brighthope, it's not wrong to use 'A thank-you note' (which is a perfectly natural phrase) in an email title, it's just a little formal, when emails tend to be informal.

brighthope

Japanese
    Thank you Chez and Parla for your replies!

Parla, so is it ("thanks note") one of those "bad English found online" examples?
    I'm asking this because I found many pages/page titles etc. where they use a word "thanks note" when I checked for this question.
    Also on Google there are "suggestions" for search like "thanks note for support" etc.
    https://www.google.ca/#q="thanks+note"
    (By the way, Google is really quick! This page comes on top now !)

Maybe the word "a thanks note" is not wrong but the usage in this case (use it in the email title etc.) that is wrong?

Myridon

English - US
    I'm asking this because I found many pages/page titles etc. where they use a word "thanks note" when I checked for this question.
    "thanks note" - 168,000
    "thank you note" - 6,200,000 - about 37 times more common.
    About 2.6% of the total hits are for "thanks note." I've seen misspellings of some phrases that had 30%.
    Google treats all web documents equally. It doesn't care if they are poorly written, in a local dialect, etc.. The search function also counts "I would like to say thanks. Note that today is Friday." as a hit for "thanks note".

Loob

English UK
    "thanks note" - 168,000
    "thank you note" - 6,200,000 - about 37 times more common. ...
    If you click through to the last page of hits, there are only 447 occurrences of "thanks note" and 346 of "thank[-]you note" (plus 417 of "thankyou note");).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >