A/The carbon footprint generated by... Article

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
Dear Teachers,
Namaskar.
"A/The carbon footprint generated by a single roundtrip flight between India and the USA overshoots the annual footprint of the average Indian by 62%."

The above sentence (except the "A" at the beginning) is quoted from a book by the CBSE.
Which article do you prefer at the beginning of the sentence? The original sentence uses "the", butt I think "a" is also possible.
Please enlighten.

Thank you very much in advance.

• Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    But there can be any number of trips and each will generate a carbon footprint. So THE carbon footprint generated in each trip will be one among many such carbon footprints. No? I mean if it's used in a very general sense. :confused:

owlman5

English-US
    "A" looks possible to me, EMP, but I'd probably use "the" because the sentence refers to one particular carbon footprint.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    If I rephrase the sentence this way:
    "A single roundtrip flight between India and the USA generates [what kind of thing?] a carbon footprint, which overshoots the annual footprint of the average Indian by 62%."

I think article A works here now, right?

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Hmm, I like your "what kind of thing" principle, VikNik. Well put but let's see what native speakers say.

But I think if you say "what kind of", then it should be "a footprint THAT/which overshoots the annual...." and there should be no comma after "footprint".

Last edited:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Hmm, I like your "what kind of thing" principle, VikNik. Well put but let's see what native speakers say.

But I think if you say "what kind of", then it should be "a footprint THAT/which overshoots the annual...." and there should be no comma after "footprint".
    I meant rather this:
    1. "what kind of" is not said in the sentence, it's implied.

2. I meant "what kind of thing?", not "what kind of footprint?". Like:
    "A single roundtrip flight between India and the USA generates a carbon footprint. And this carbon footprint overshoots the annual footprint of the average Indian by 62%."

3. I think it wouldn't work without a comma in my sentence.

But let's see if the the native speakers may want to say something ))

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Definitely not.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    You mean this:
    A single roundtrip flight between India and the USA generates a carbon footprint which/that overshoots the annual footprint of the average Indian by 62%.:tick:
    A single roundtrip flight between India and the USA generates a carbon footprint, which overshoots the annual footprint of the average Indian by 62%.:cross:
    Do I correctly understand?

< Previous | Next >