A / The celadon bowl ; Celadon bowl [caption]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by westwind, Sep 3, 2013.

1. westwind Senior Member

Chinese
    The Base of a celaldon bowl
    Base of a celadon

A cwladon bowl
    The celadon bowl
    Celadon bowl (self-made)

The above phases are catipons to some pictures. I am confused about the use of the articles in this case. Do we need them in captions? Thank you.

2. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

You don't have to have them, but it's not wrong to include them. Captions are sometimes written in a condensed style in which unnecessary words are eliminated, but other times they are written as complete sentences. And other times, they might be written in a style that's between these two extremes. If you aren't required to use a particular caption style, any of these ways is fine - you should just pick one style and be consistent within your document.

3. dadane Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (London/Essex)
    Even though it is a caption, the answer is still dependant on context. If the picture is part of an article and the article has been discussing this particular bowl, "The celadon bowl" would be appropriate; if this is an article discussing celadon bowls in general and you want to stress that this in an example, "A celadon bowl" is fine, otherwise "Celadon bowl". If this is a label next to an example and there is no other context whatsoever, like a piece in a museum, I would not use any article.

In the case of the 'base': if there is a definite article before 'base' there must also be an article before 'celadon'.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  4. westwind Senior Member

Chinese
    I am introducing a Tang dynasty granary complex. The bowl base or the celadon bowl is one of the artifacts from the granary site, which we chose as an example.