A / The celadon bowl ; Celadon bowl [caption]

westwind

Chinese
The Base of a celaldon bowl
Base of a celadon

A cwladon bowl
The celadon bowl
Celadon bowl (self-made)

The above phases are catipons to some pictures. I am confused about the use of the articles in this case. Do we need them in captions? Thank you.

• JustKate

Moderate Mod
    You don't have to have them, but it's not wrong to include them. Captions are sometimes written in a condensed style in which unnecessary words are eliminated, but other times they are written as complete sentences. And other times, they might be written in a style that's between these two extremes. If you aren't required to use a particular caption style, any of these ways is fine - you should just pick one style and be consistent within your document.

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    Even though it is a caption, the answer is still dependant on context. If the picture is part of an article and the article has been discussing this particular bowl, "The celadon bowl" would be appropriate; if this is an article discussing celadon bowls in general and you want to stress that this in an example, "A celadon bowl" is fine, otherwise "Celadon bowl". If this is a label next to an example and there is no other context whatsoever, like a piece in a museum, I would not use any article.

In the case of the 'base': if there is a definite article before 'base' there must also be an article before 'celadon'.

Last edited:

westwind

Chinese
    Even though it is a caption, the answer is still dependant on context. If the picture is part of an article and the article has been discussing this particular bowl, "The celadon bowl" would be appropriate; if this is an article discussing celadon bowls in general and you want to stress that this in an example, "A celadon bowl" is fine, otherwise "Celadon bowl". If this is a label next to an example and there is no other context whatsoever, like a piece in a museum, I would not use any article.

In the case of the 'base': if there is a definite article before 'base' there must also be an article before 'celadon'.
    I am introducing a Tang dynasty granary complex. The bowl base or the celadon bowl is one of the artifacts from the granary site, which we chose as an example.

< Previous | Next >