a / the company

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
In the stock market, the price of stock is based on the supply and demand of investors. Stock prices tend to rise when it seems like a company will earn more in the future. Investors might then buy more of the stock, raising the prices even further due to an increased demand.
What Causes Economic Bubbles? - Prateek Singh, YouTube video

It sounds like any company will earn more, while in fact it's the company whose stock is increasing in price. So, to you, is the use of the indefinite article correct here?

Thanks.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It's like a dictionary definition - and in any case this is the first mention. I see nothing wrong with using "a".

Pain is what a person feels when they fall down.

agreva3

English - Long Island, NY, USA
    For me, the use of 'a' here is correct, and 'the' would be incorrect.

Singh does not seem to be arguing that any company will earn more; instead, Singh appears to simply be describing a pattern that is generally true.

Also, you should notice that this is the first time that Singh is mentioning the word 'company'. In general (emphasis, general), we do not use the article 'the' when first introducing a noun; instead, the plural, the article 'a(n)', or just the noun alone are preferable -- depending on context. ^^

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you both !
    In general (emphasis, general), we do not use the article 'the' when first introducing a noun; instead, the plural, the article 'a(n)', or just the noun alone are preferable -- depending on context. ^^
    Yes, of course, I just thougt it was an example of "shared knowledge" (or what it is correctly called:))

< Previous | Next >