A / The European is ....

< Previous | Next >
  • radheshthe

Marathi
    Welcome to the forum, radheshthe.:)

Please tell us which you would use and why. We need your input in order to assist you.
    European is a good traveller.
    Which article should the word European take?

I would use 'the', not 'a'.
    Because article 'the' is used when we are talking about the people in general, that is, nearly all.
    Her, the quality of travelling is applied to nearly all Europeans
    Am I correct?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Good job.:thumbsup: Yes, if you are referring to Europeans as one entity, you would use "The European".

Having said that, though, "The European is a good traveller", although correct, has a rather old-fashioned, 1930s travelogue sound to it. I think we would much more naturally say "Europeans are good travellers".

radheshthe

Marathi
    Thanks for the answer. the queastion was asked in a university question paper and there the word European was singular,
    Thanks once again.

WordRef1

English - America
    Having said that, though, "The European is a good traveller", although correct, has a rather old-fashioned, 1930s travelogue sound to it. I think we would much more naturally say "Europeans are good travellers".
    I would agree and say however that if you use language like that, you might create an amusing vibe to an article. Probably because mocking that manner of speaking from formal "travelogues" and such has been done, such as with cartoons. Go watch some "Goofy" cartoons. A quaint throw-back to "earlier times" often comes off as amusing.

< Previous | Next >