a/the head of an/the organization

HajiSahib

Banned
Punjabi/Urdu - Pakistan
Akram is a head of an organization.
Akram is the head of an organization.
Akram is a head of the organization.
Akram is the head of the organization.

What is the difference between these....?
Can you please help me sir/ madam ?

Thank you....

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    There are two questions here: "Akram is a/the head" and "of an/the organization." Both questions are about articles, but they require two answers:

a. Akram is the head if the organization has only one head. He is a head if it has many, such as perhaps an executive committee of three or four people.

b. He is head of an organization if we don't know what organization is under discussion, just that there is some organization where Akram is a/the head. He is head of the organization if the organization has been identified.

Andygc

British English
    That answer is too simple, I'm afraid.

Akram is a head of an organization. A head of an organization is a person who heads an organization. Most organizations have only one head. Akram is one of those people.

Compare with:
    He is a ship's captain.
    He is a captain of a ship.
    He is the captain of a ship.
    Those can all mean the same.

HajiSahib

Banned
    Punjabi/Urdu - Pakistan
    That answer is too simple, I'm afraid.

Akram is a head of an organization. A head of an organization is a person who heads an organization. Most organizations have only one head. Akram is one of those people.

Compare with:
    He is a ship's captain.
    He is a captain of a ship.
    He is the captain of a ship.
    Those can all mean the same.
    I m sorry sir...i do not understand your answer.. Can you please explain what do you mean ?.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You haven't told us whether you're talking about a specific organization or not, HajiSahib. We can't tell you whether "an organization" or "the organization" is correct without that context.

< Previous | Next >