a/the majority of German citizens

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
"Although it is one of the most gay-friendly countries in the world, today same-sex marriage is still outlawed despite being legal in 13 European countries. And while a majority of German citizens support equal rights, the German government does not."
a YT video
I think "THE majority of German citizens" would work here too, and perhaps, be even better. What do you think? Thank you.

• VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I think they meant that out of those who have an opinion on this issue, any number from 50% to 100% is a majority (e.g.: 60; 70; 99,78; etc).
    Thank you.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The WRF Random House dictionary is OK with either.

ma•jor•i•ty/məˈdʒɔrɪti, -ˈdʒɑr-/n., pl. -ties. a number, part, or amount forming more than half of the whole or total:[countable]the majority of the population; She got a majority of the votes in the election.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    So, they say that there is "a" majority but they don't know how big it is? How do they know it's a majority then?
    Why do you think they don't know?:) E.g., he knows that 65% are for same-sex marriage, and he implies that the 65% is just one of the possible numbers which denote the majority (between 50 and 100). That is, the majority consists of majorities.

x-posted with Julian

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >