a/the miracle of miracles

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hi, I was just wondering which I should use, a or the, here. Would anyone please help?

[1] I met an old friend of mine from forty-five years ago at the station, and another from thirty years ago called me yesterday. That was a/the miracle of miracles!
[2] By a/the miracle of miracles I met an old friend of mine from forty-five years ago at the station, and another from thirty years ago called me yesterday.

I believe I should use 'a' in both cases.

Hiro

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't use that expression at all here -- first, you have two miracles, not one, so neither "a" nor "the" is correct for me; second, if you tried to incorporate "miracles of miracles," you'd have a real mess. :)

Wordnip

British English
    Hi, I was just wondering which I should use, a or the, here. Would anyone please help?

[1] I met an old friend of mine from forty-five years ago at the station, and another from thirty years ago called me yesterday. That was a/the miracle of miracles!
    [2] By a/the miracle of miracles I met an old friend of mine from forty-five years ago at the station, and another from thirty years ago called me yesterday.

I believe I should use 'a' in both cases.

Hiro
    Presumably the miracle of miracles is the coincidence of the two unlikely contacts with old friends, so I would have to disagree with Copyright's reply.

I would cast it thus:

Miracle of miracles!: I met an old friend of mine from forty-five years ago at the station, and another from thirty years ago called me yesterday.

HSS

Thanks and hi to Copy and Wordhip.:)

Provided the expression is used in the right way, should it be 'a miracle of miracles' or 'the miracle of miracles' then?

Wordnip

British English
    I see ... so it couldn't be inserted into a sentence.

Okay. Thanks.

Hiro
    Yes, it could be inserted into a sentence:

[By chance] I met an old friend of mine from forty-five years ago at the station, and, miracle of miracles, another from thirty years ago called me yesterday!

By adding 'By chance' or some other phrase to emphasise that it was an unlikely event, it gives more justification to the use of your 'miraculous' phrase.

HSS

Hi, Wordnip.

So it could be used more as a parenthetical expression, not as a noun phrase or an adverbial.

Hiro

Wordnip

British English
    You could say the coincidence was the (or 'a' m of m but 'the' is better) miracle of miracles. I'm not sure how you would use it adverbially. What had you in mind?

HSS

You could say the coincidence was the (or 'a' m of m but 'the' is better) miracle of miracles. I'm not sure how you would use it adverbially. What had you in mind?
    I was thinking of 'by a/the miracle of miracles' or something? Now that I said it, nawww, it doesn't sound right.:(

< Previous | Next >