Ivan_I

Russian
Which article is to be used?

"Have you seen the movie named X?"
"Have you seen a movie named X?"

• Uncle Jack

British English
    The usual way would be "Have you seen X?"
    To use "named" suggests it is an obscure movie, or perhaps the speaker is not sure of its title, or maybe isn't even certain that it exists. If the speaker has doubts over the correct title or existence of the movie, they may use "a". However if they are certain of the name and (as far as they are aware) it is the only movie of that name, then they would use "the".

Ivan_I

Russian
    The usual way would be "Have you seen X?"
    Do you mean that X would mean the name of a movie? Let's say, the name of the movie is "The sky". I say:

"Have you seen The sky"

But isn't it not precise enough? What if there is a play named "The sky". But if I say "The movie named "the sky" it will be clear from the start what I mean.

To use "named" suggests it is an obscure movie, or perhaps the speaker is not sure of its title, or maybe isn't even certain that it exists. If the speaker has doubts over the correct title or existence of the movie, they may use "a". However if they are certain of the name and (as far as they are aware) it is the only movie of that name, then they would use "the".
    Very interesting.

< Previous | Next >