a + the + n.(pl.), right?

smet777

chinese
Dear friends,
I've come to a sentence, which confuses me quite a lot:

The U.S. military already flies Global Hawk drones, which are nearly the size of a the widely-used Boeing 737 passenger jets. And military data shows that drone flights crash less often than piloted flights, Cummings said.

Please help explain if it exists.
The sentence is taken from the following website:

https://money.cnn.com/2015/03/27/news/companies/pilotless-passenger-planes/index.html
Thanks a lot.
Maxwell CN/SHA

• heypresto

English - England
    It's a typo/error, and should read ' . . . the size of the widely-used . . . '. The 'a' should't be there.

I suspect the writer was going to say ' . . . the size of a Boeing 737 . . . ', and then added 'widely-used' (which requires 'the'), but forgot to delete the 'a'.

smet777

chinese
    It's a typo/error, and should read ' . . . the size of the widely-used . . . '. The 'a' should't be there.

I suspect the writer was going to say ' . . . the size of a Boeing 737 . . . ', and then added 'widely-used' (which requires 'the'), but forgot to delete the 'a'.
    Got it. Thank you very much indeed for your prompt reply.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I agree with heypresto. The s also needs to be removed from jets.

...which are nearly the size of the widely-used Boeing 737 passenger jet.

It refers to a class of things (a specific type of jet) so the s should be omitted.

smet777

chinese
    I agree with heypresto. The s also needs to be removed from jets.

...which are nearly the size of the widely-used Boeing 737 passenger jet.

It refers to a class of things (a specific type of jet) so the s should be omitted.
    Agree. Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >