A / the / no article prayer

HajiSahib

Banned
Punjabi/Urdu - Pakistan
Hello...

I offered the prayer.
I offered prayer.
I offered a prayer.

Sir madam can you please explain the difference ?

Thank you...

• HajiSahib

Banned
    Punjabi/Urdu - Pakistan
    I offered a certain prayer. "The" indicates that this prayer had been referred to before.

I prayed. This is more general and implies doing something that you regularly did.

I offered a single prayer, probably praying for something specific.
    Thank you sir...
    Sir.. I'm referring to this prayer that we offer five times in a day..
    Salah - Wikipedia
    Now can u tell me the difference ?

Barque

Tamil
    You're welcome, and you don't have to call me "Sir".

If you're referring to Salah, the second option is the one that fits. I offered prayer. Or perhaps: I offered my prayers.

HajiSahib

Banned
    Punjabi/Urdu - Pakistan
    You're welcome, and you don't have to call me "Sir".

If you're referring to Salah, the second option is the one that fits. I offered prayer. Or perhaps: I offered my prayers.
    Can u please tell me why can I not use first and third option ? What is the difference between them when i mean 'salah' by prayer..

To me *I offered prayer* sounds wrong..because i have learned that singular countable noun always qualified by a determiner ...I mean a or an... As prayer is countable.. So it should have 'a'.
    Can u comment on this ?

Barque

Tamil
    Can you please tell me why I cannot I not use the first and third options?
    I offered the prayer = Here, "the" implies that the prayer has been referred to before. It also uses prayer as a countable noun. But "prayer" can also be uncountable, which is what you need in your situation. You're referring to a regular occurrence - the practice you follow regularly of offering prayers five times a day.

The third option, as I said above, implies a single, specific prayer, which isn't what you mean.
    As prayer is countable.. So it should have 'a'.
    It isn't countable in I offered prayer.

Here's the applicable meaning from the WR dictionary:
    prayer: the act or practice of praying:[uncountable] He believed in the power of prayer.

< Previous | Next >