a / the pesticide plant

Leafka

Polish
Hi,

I am writing about a company that was fined for an accident:

In September 2015, a subsidiary of X, which in turn is a subsidiary of Y, agreed to pay USD 5.6 million as part of a settlement with the US Department of Justice over a fatal accident at its facility in Institute, West Virginia, US. In August 2008, an explosion of a pressurized vessel at a / the pesticide plant resulted in the death of two workers.

I'm not sure whether I should use the definite or indefinite article before 'pesticide plant'. I would choose 'a', because I didn't mention in the first sentence what kind of facility it is. Is it correct?

• Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I would say "at the pesticide plant of the company" as it seems incomplete without "of the company". But using " the" means there was only one pesticide plant in the company. If there were more, "a" would be used.

sound shift

English - England
    Let's call this subsidiary W.
    How many pesticide plants were there at W's facility in Institute? If there was only one, I'd say "at its pesticide plant there". If there was more than one, I'd say "at one of its pesticide plants there".

Myridon

English - US
    I would say "at the pesticide plant of the company" as it seems incomplete without "of the company".
    Only if the sentence were completely without context. We don't think the company is in trouble for an explosion at another company's plant. We know that the sentence is about "its facility."

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Thank you, Myridon. "Its facility" was what occurred to me first but I used "of the company" as I thought it would be much clearer among a few nouns there. I wanted to write "its facility" as another option but my laziness prevented me. :oops:

Myridon

English - US
    Thank you, Myridon. "Its facility" was what occurred to me first but I used "of the company" as I thought it would be much clearer among a few nouns there. I wanted to write "its facility" as another option but my laziness prevented me. :oops:
    No, my point was that "its facility" already appeared in the text. "of the company" is superfluous, unnecessary, redundant. ;) The "the" of "The plant" refers is there because we've already mentioned a specific plant in the previous sentence. "its facility in ..." is "the plant."

< Previous | Next >