a/the whole Strike Team

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
The Thundermans, TV series
Context: Phoebe uses the Hero League's villain search software to track down a cute boy she met earlier. When the President of the Hero League finds out that Phoebe is using the software she sends a Strike Team to track and take down the dangerous criminal that Phoebe is tracking. Phoebe tries to explain about who she's tracking but it's too late. The Strike Team arrives at the door. Now the Strike Team is all settled at her house with all their equipment. Now Phoebe is talking to her friend, Cherry, who's also there.

Phoebe: Cherry, I feel awful. All I wanted to do is track down a boy I liked.
Cherry (pointing at the Strike Team): And now you have a/the whole Strike Team to do it for you!

I can't hear which one she says. Please help me understand the difference and tell me which one is the most likely to be used in this situation.:)

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    If there was more than one Strike Team, and only one was involved, then you would use the indefinite article "a". If there is only one Strike Team, then you would use the definite article "the". From your context, I think there is more than one Strike Team (you say that earlier that she "sends a Strike Team"), so use "a".

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    Thanks so much for your help.:)
    If there was more than one Strike Team, and only one was involved, then you would use the indefinite article "a".
    You mean that if there was more than one Strike Team that existed in the Hero League overall?

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    Yes, in that world if there were several Strike Teams, and this is just one of them.
    Many thanks to you.:)
    Just one more question, please.

But in this case, even if there are more than one Strike Team existing, can't Cherry use "the" since she's pointing at the Strike Team that's in their house right now when she says the line?

Cherry (pointing at the Strike Team): And now you have the whole Strike Team to do it for you!

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    It could be "the", yes, but it is more likely to be "a". That is because the action was done by one of many possible teams that could have been sent, so "a whole team" - using "the" restricts her speech to being about only this team, and I think from your context this is not the case. (She is pointing just to signal what she is talking about).

(I hope you can understand that, if not I'll try again.)

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    Sorry. I have one more question.:)

Let's say there's actually only one Strike Team existing that works for the Hero League. So which article would the President of the Hero League use when informing Phoebe of their arrival in this situation?

I'm sending a/the Strike Team.

Last edited:

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    If there was only one possible team then it would be likely to be the Strike Team. (In this situation you could still use a, but if Strike Team is the name, rather than simply a description, and especially if Phoebe knows there is only one team, then the would be used, because it is clear that a specific unit is being referred to.)

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    Thank you, Dretagoto.:)

Phoebe didn't even know about the existence of a Strike Team. So this is the first time she's hearing about them.:)
    I'm a little confused.
    but if Strike Team is the name and especially if Phoebe knows there is only one team, then the would be used,
    And if she doesn't know?
    but if Strike Team is the name, rather than simply a description,
    And if it's a description?

Last edited:

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Phoebe is the listener - it makes no difference whether she knows or not.

You have already been given the answer if it's a description.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Part of Post 9 says that we would definitely use "the" in the case that it is a name rather than a description. The rest of the thread tells you the answer for a description. Not sure how you managed to miss it.

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    I said it was the rest of the thread, so yes it's that part and also posts 2, 4 and 6.
    But posts 2, 4 and 6 were answers to what Cherry said although I now wonder if Dretagoto's explanations up to post 6 were about "Strike Team" used as a name or a description. I'd appreciate it if he could clarify.:)

And in post 8, I asked about which article would the President of the Hero League use when informing Phoebe of their arrival.:)

I'm really sorry but I'm very confused now especially regarding the use of "a" or "the" based on whether "Strike Team" is used as a name or a description in my both situations.:(:(

I'd be very very grateful if you could help me understand it in order with regard to whether "Strike Team" is used as a name or a description in my both situations. Please.:):):):)

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    You are confused because you have the bad habit of modifying the original question - either by changing the context, adding a new example, or asking about a variant of the original text. The result is that the various answers aren't always completely coherent because most people don't read the entire thread before answering.

What makes you think that the article choice would be different for the President than it is for Cherry?

Part of post 9 deals with the case where Strike Team is a name. The rest of the thread treats Strike Team as a description.

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    What makes you think that the article choice would be different for the President than it is for Cherry?
    Because it's "a/the whole Strike Team" and she's pointing with both hands when she says her line, while the President is simply informing Phoebe of their arrival.:)

If there was only one possible team then it would be likely to be the Strike Team. (In this situation you could still use a,
    Why could I still use "a"?

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Regardless of the gestures, in both cases "Strike Team" is being used as a description and the answers already given are valid to both situations.

It is possible to use "a" even if there is only one, for the same reasons that it is always possible to use "a" with a first reference.

Note that the first reference isn't necessarily the first reference ever, merely the first reference in the current dialogue.

< Previous | Next >