a thing of the past

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
Customers and shop assistants in Spain have long been frustrated by the fact that women tend to go into the changing rooms with a bundle different sizes, never knowing which one will fit this time or whether any will fit at all. However, by 2008 this could be a thing of the past.

I want to use a bunch of and history to replace a bundle of and a thing of the past respectively. I need your comments. Thanks.

• Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Customers and shop assistants in Spain have long been frustrated by the fact that women tend to go into the changing rooms with a bundle of different sizes, never knowing which one will fit this time or whether any will fit at all. However, by 2008 this could be a thing of the past.

I want to use a bunch of and history to replace a bundle of and a thing of the past respectively. I need your comments. Thanks.
    I don't think a "bunch of" here would be appropriate, it is very informal, nor "history" with "could be". Perhaps - by 2008 it will/may be history.

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Thanks, Sibera.
    But I really couldn't tell a bundle of and a bunch of apart; would you point out the key differences?
    To tell you the truth, I don't particularly like "bundle" either in this sentence because I use it for things which are bound together - the items of clothing are not. I'd use it colloquially in: I made a bundle on those cars last year (made money) or I have a bundle of ideas.
    Bunch is usually a group of things - a group of clothes doesn't work.
    I picked up lots of different sizes or a load, a great deal, a whole load.

< Previous | Next >