a third consecutive victory

tagoot

Japanese
“Donald J. Trump was declared the winner of the Nevada caucuses on Tuesday night, according to The Associated Press, gaining a third consecutive victory in an early-voting state and strengthening his position in the Republican presidential race before the wave of Super Tuesday elections on March 1.”

This is an excerpt from an article in The New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/us/politics/nevada-caucus-gop.html?emc=edit_na_20160224&nlid=49577756&ref=cta

It should be “gaining the third consecutive victory in the early-voting state”, shouldn’t it? Does it sound natural?

Could someone explain why they used “a” or "an" instead of “the”?

• sound shift

English - England
    Hello,

No, the sentence is fine. It should not be "the...the".
    Victory in Nevada is only one victory out of three, so it's "a victory".
    If you said "the early-voting state", it would mean "three victories in Nevada", but the correct interpretation of the sentence is that this victory in Nevada follows victories in two other early-voting states.

tagoot

Japanese
    sound shift Thank you very much for your prompt and insightful answer.
    >If you said "the early-voting state", it would mean "three victories in Nevada",...

I understand that, but is it not more appropriate to say “gaining the third consecutive victory in early-voting states”?

I checked several articles as regards this topic. Do you have any comment about the swing of the expression ( I do not know if this is the right way of saying)?

In Nevada caucuses, Trump gets a third straight win

Donald Trump wins Nevada for third consecutive victory
    Donald Trump wins Nevada for third consecutive victory | Toronto Star

Donald Trump rolled to victory in Tuesday’s Nevada GOP presidential caucus, his third consecutive convincing win.
    Trump Prevails In Nevada, Wins Third Consecutive State

Thank you in advance for your further assistance. Article is an eternal mystery for me.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Do you have any comment about the swing of the expression (I do not know if this is the right way of saying)?
    I think we'd refer to "the variations in the expression".

This one, like your original quote, uses "a". With no article before "Nevada caucuses", this appears to be a headline.

Donald Trump wins Nevada for third consecutive victory
    This one, with no article, also appears to be a headline; headlines often omit small words such as articles and need not be complete sentences. In fact, they usually are not.

Donald Trump rolled to victory in Tuesday’s Nevada GOP presidential caucus, his third consecutive convincing win.
    The personal pronoun "his" is fine.

Trump Prevails in Nevada, Wins Third Consecutive State
    This is clearly another headline.

tagoot

Japanese
    Parla
    "The variations in the expression" is certainly better. Thank you for your suggestion. I also appreciate your comment regarding my question #2.

Do you have any idea about the question #1? I hope this will not inconvenience you too much, but this is very important for me.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Do you have any idea about the question #1? I hope this will not inconvenience you too much, but this is very important for me.
    If you're asking about the first question you asked in post #3, then no, the original version with "a victory" is correct. Don't change it to "the victory."

tagoot

Japanese
    Parla, Glenfarclas, sound shift
    Thank you for your patient assistance. I beg to insist, however, that sound shift’s answer does not convince me although I appreciate it very much.

Victory in Nevada is only one victory out of three, so it's "a victory".

Yes, it is true, but it is also certainly true that Nevada’s victory was the third victory in early-voting states. I do not understand why you cannot say “gaining the third consecutive victory in early-voting states”. Probably I may lack basic awareness about the usage of articles.

< Previous | Next >