a three-year no quibble guarantee <quibble as a modifier>

< Previous | Next >

Shandol

Persian
Hi,
The machine comes with a three-year no quibble guarantee.
Oxford Learners Dictionary

As a matter of fact I have seen numerous sentence examples of the word "quibble", however the above sentence sounds, to some degree, interesting to me. As it can be seen, "quibble" here is a noun being utilized as a modifier. My problems are as follows:
- I'm having trouble understanding the sentence in terms of meaning and grammatical point of view, specifically the bold part.
- I'm not sure why it has not been written as:
The machine comes with a three-year no-quibble guarantee.
Could anyone please clarify the matter and dissect the sentence appropriately?
Thanks in advance.

• The Newt

English - US
    There is a three-year guarantee, and the manufacturer of the machine won't quibble with the reasons the customer may have for being dissatisfied. "Quibble" by itself wouldn't work; it has to be "no quibble" to make sense.

kentix

English - U.S.
    We are less enthusiastic about hyphens, as a rule, in American English than other varieties of English. Is this sentence from an AE source?

Although using a hyphen is common, I would be happy writing:

The machine comes with a three year, no quibble guarantee.

The meaning is the same.

If you complain about something, they won't make an excuse to not fix it because you didn't do this or you did do that or it's not that serious.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's common to put "no" at the beginning of whatever you write in that context. The more standard form (where I live) is:

It's a three-year, "no questions asked" guarantee.

(I'm not a big fan of multi-hyphenated words.)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Turning phrases with 'no' into some kind of adjectival modifier is fairly common. A possible no-deal Brexit has been much in the news; there can be a no-holds-barred contest (originally literally about holds in wrestling); with insurance you can get a no-claims bonus.

< Previous | Next >