A three-year-old son

< Previous | Next >

Mortezabayan

Farsi
Hey guys I'm really confused and I don't know how to make the question which the answer is:
I have a three-year-old son.
Is the question is:
How many year-old-son do you have?

Last edited:
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Welcome to the forum, Mortezabayan. :)

There are several possibilities. It depends on how much the questioner already knows and what he wants to find out. For example, does the questioner already know you have a son? Does the questioner already know that you have children?

One such question might be:
    How old are your children?

Another might be:
    How many children do you have?

Mortezabayan

Farsi
    Welcome to the forum, Mortezabayan. :)

There are several possibilities. It depends on how much the questioner already knows and what he wants to find out. For example, does the questioner already know you have a son? Does the questioner already know that you have children?

One such question might be:
    How old are your children?

Another might be:
    How many children do you have?
    Suppose that he knows I have a son but the question indicates a three-year-old son is my point

Uncle Jack

British English
    The obvious one to me is "Do you have any children?"

This makes no mention of how old they are, and it could be answered by a simple "yes", but in English there is very rarely a natural way to force someone to answer a question using a particular form of words, and it is usually wrong to try.

Suppose that he knows I have a son but the question indicates a three-year-old son is my point
    If the person knows you have a son, they would probably ask something like "How old is your son?", to which you might answer "He is three". You would not answer "I have a three year old son", because the person already knows you have a son; you don't need to them them that.

"I have a three-year old son" strongly suggests that the other person does not know you have a son.

Mortezabayan

Farsi

This makes no mention of how old they are, and it could be answered by a simple "yes", but in English there is very rarely a natural way to force someone to answer a question using a particular form of words, and it is usually wrong to try.
    You are right but l just want to know is the folowing question right? And what is the answer of this question?
    How many year-old son do you have?
    Answer: I have a three-year-old son

Last edited:

Mortezabayan

Farsi

If the person knows you have a son, they would probably ask something like "How old is your son?", to which you might answer "He is three". You would not answer "I have a three year old son", because the person already knows you have a son; you don't need to them them that.

"I have a three-year old son" strongly suggests that the other person does not know you have a son.
    Is the folowing question logical or have you heard it before?
    How many year-old son do you have?

Uncle Jack

British English
    < Previous | Next >