a time block in a after-clause

shorty1

Korean
Hello again.

I created a new thread.

#1. After I played with my dog for 2 hours, I did my homework.
#2. I played with my dog for 2 hours, and then I did my homework.

Both sound natural and are also used frequently in daily conversation?

I've never seen the case that there is a time block in after-clauses. :eek:

So, I'm curious about whether #1 is a common pattern native speakers use.

Thank you so much. :)

• suzi br

English / England
    Both of those sound fine.
    I do not know what you mean by a time block, so I cannot answer the other bit of your question.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Yes Fictional, In a written text I would prefer the gerund.
    I think there is a problem with "after" followed by the finite verb, if the time period is long. I might also use the past perfect - "After I had played with the dog for two hours, I did my homework".

shorty1

Korean
    Thank you so much, suzi, Fictional and velisarius. :)

Sorry for making you comfused.

A time block was intended to mean 'time period' like in velisarus' post.

If the time period in an after-clause is long, is it OK?

For example:

After I had lived in NewYork for 10 years, I moved to another city.
    or After I lived in NewYork for 10 years, I moved to another city.

or 10 years is too long to make the sentence sound natural?

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'm sure that if I heard them they would sound natural, but now that I think about it they don't seem quite right.

shorty1

Korean
    I'm sure that if I heard them they would sound natural, but now that I think about it they don't seem quite right.
    You mean it doesn't seem quite right that a period of time itself is in a after-clause regardless of whether it is long or short?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I was hoping someone else would give their opinion on this too, but I feel it isn't quite natural to use "after" + finite verb to cover such a long time-span. I could easily say "After a lifetime of drinking and gambling he finally settled down", but I'd probably say "When I had been living in New York for ten years, I decided to move to another city."

shorty1

Korean
    I was hoping someone else would give their opinion on this too, but I feel it isn't quite natural to use "after" + finite verb to cover such a long time-span. I could easily say "After a lifetime of drinking and gambling he finally settled down", but I'd probably say "When I had been living in New York for ten years, I decided to move to another city."

Thank you so much, velisarius. :)

I got this the wrong way.

I get it.

By the way:

When I decided to move to another city, I had been living in New York for ten years.(or I had been living in New York for ten years when I decided to move to another city.)

The above sentence would be more appropriate.

I think probably it means the point of time I decided to move to another city was 10 years after I started to live in New York, doesn't it? :confused:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    >I think probably it means the point of time I decided to move to another city was 10 years after I started to live in New York, doesn't it?

Yes, ten years after you first hit the Big Apple you decided to move.:) Both your sentences work.

shorty1

Korean
    >I think probably it means the point of time I decided to move to another city was 10 years after I started to live in New York, doesn't it?

Yes, ten years after you first hit the Big Apple you decided to move.:) Both your sentences work.

Thank you so much for your time and double-checking it. :)

I get it.

< Previous | Next >