a time to tell

< Previous | Next >

trunghq

Vietnamese
Now's a __________ time to tell me you're going out this evening. I've spent the whole day preparing supper for you.

A. fine
B. suitable
C. reasonable
D. right

Key: ?
I searched Google and found that "a ... time to tell" went with all of them. There have been more results for "a ... time". Which answer is the best one and why?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Had you noticed that there's a contradiction between the two sentences? In truth, the best answer would be Now's a bad time... So that must mean that the first sentence is sarcastic or ironic.

Does that help you decide?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Tell us which one you think might be best, trunghq, and then we'll be happy to help.

[Cross-posted with Keith Bradford]

trunghq

Vietnamese
    Had you noticed that there's a contradiction between the two sentences? In truth, the best answer would be Now's a bad time... So that must mean that the first sentence is sarcastic or ironic.

Does that help you decide?
    Tell us which one you think might be best, trunghq, and then we'll be happy to help.

[Cross-posted with Keith Bradford]
    At first, I chose reasonable depending on the number of results I found on Google. However, as Keith suggested, I have changed my mind. The answer should be FINE, I guess.

I also read the 2nd sentence but, for me, all of the answers sound acceptable. I know there are differences in their meaings but I do not know exactly.

wandle

English - British
    A typical way to express this kind of sarcasm would be: 'You've picked a fine time to tell me ...'

The reason we can be sure that the answer is 'fine' is that the expression 'a fine time to ...' is a set phrase expressing sarcasm.
    None of the other options occurs in a sarcastic set phrase relating to time.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Now that you've worked out the logic of it, trunghq, and correctly decided that it must be "fine", it might be useful for you to know that "Now's a fine time to ..." (or "This is a fine time to ...") is a set expression that is always used ironically.

Cross-posted with wandle.

Ws:)

Last edited:

trunghq

Vietnamese
    Many thanks to everyone, I didn't know it is an ironical expression. I had to use Google Images to see the wordy images.

< Previous | Next >