a time-travelling accusation

ida2

Persian - Iran
Hi,

In the following context, could you please explain/paraphrase the bold part?

"It occurred to me that Olivia Brennan had become David’s whole world. I almost began to hope that they’d never break up, because if they did, I wasn’t entirely sure he could handle it. I kept thinking back to the incident with Jennie when David was a teenager, and Andrea’s words during that phone call would float back into my mind – a time-travelling accusation I had been so sure I’d already put to bed."

More explanation: Andrea is Jennie's mother who accused David of annoying Jennie after they broke up.

Source: A Mother's Confession, by Kelly Rimmer

• Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Hello Ida2,

It means the accusation that was made in the past comes to her mind in the present. In that way the accusation "time-travels" from the past into the present.

She says "put to bed", because she was sure she had stopped worrying about it. However, David's relationship with Olivia reminds her of the accusation Andrea made. This makes the mother worry about whether David is going to pester, or be accused of pestering, Olivia if they break up.

I kept thinking back [to the past] to the incident with Jennie when David was a teenager, and Andrea’s words during that phone call would float back into my mind [in the present]a time-travelling accusation I had been so sure I’d already put to bed."

Last edited:

ida2

Persian - Iran
    Hello Ida2,

It means the accusation that was made in the past comes to her mind in the present. In that way the accusation "time-travels" from the past into the present.

She says "put to bed", because she was sure she had stopped worrying about it. However, David's relationship with Olivia reminds her of the accusation Andrea made. This makes the mother worry about whether David is going to pester, or be accused of pestering, Olivia if they break up.
    Thank you so much for your precise explanation.

< Previous | Next >