a time xx years ago

benein

Korean
Hi everyone! :)
I have a question.
It is from one of my test.

[context]
Runoff channels on Mars speak of a time 4 billion years ago (the age of the Martian highlands), when the atmosphere was thicker, the surface warmer, and liquid water widespread.

[question]
I'm having trouble understanding the structure of the part "a time 4 billion years ago". I have a guess. I would like to hear what you think about my guess.

[my guess]
To me, the structure of "a time 4 billion years ago" resembles a structure of "a long time ago".
= [a time 4 billion years ago = a long time ago (in terms of structure)]

So my guess is that instead of 'long', the writer put '4 billion years'.
= [a 4 billion years time ago ]

And for some reason, it is not right to put '4 billion years' before 'time'. So it is moved behind 'time'
= [a time 4 billion years ago]

What do you think about my guess?

Thank you for reading my question.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I think you're on the right track. Although in English, modifiers often come before the head noun (time in your example), a phrase as a modifier can come after the head noun.

So we can say a long time ago as well as a time long ago. We talk about a beautiful girl but might still say She was a girl beautiful in an ethereal way.

heypresto

English - England
    I think you are over-complicating things. The sentence is simply saying ' . . . speak of a (period of) time (that passed) 4 billion years ago (the age of . . . '

benein

Korean
    Thank you natkretep for the explanation and examples! :thumbsup:
    I didn't know that I can say "a time long ago". I thought it was wrong! :)

Please tell me know if I'm wrong.
    What you mean is that both "a time 4 billion years ago" and "a4 billion years time ago" are OK.

Do I understand you correctly?

< Previous | Next >