A tiny Asian snake was found on a Qantas Boeing 747 airliner

Jacobdeiter

Badaga
1) A tiny Asian snake was found on a Qantas Boeing 747 airliner in Australia, leading to 370 passengers being grounded overnight.

Rather,It can be said

2) A tiny Asian snake was found on a Qantas Boeing 747 airliner in Australia, leading to 370 passengers got grounded overnight.

is the sentence 2 is correct? if sentence 1 is preferred then what is the reason behind it ?

can you explain the phrase's "leading to 370 passengers being grounded overnight" meaning in simple English?

• Fictional

India - Hindi
    The phrase, in simple English, means that the flight, which had 370 passengers, was delayed by one night.
    As for your main question, the first sentence is correct. Although I know the first one is correct, I cannot give you an accurate reason for it. But don't worry, someone will definitely give you the answer you're looking for.

P.S. - Pay more heed to punctuation and capitalization.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    If you want to use 'get', you need the participle*: "leading to 370 passengers getting grounded."

It's this meaning of lead:
    (intransitive) followed by to: to tend (to) or result (in): this will only lead to misery

The discovery of the snake caused the passengers to be grounded [=to have to stay on the ground]. The passengers were grounded; the discovery of the snake caused the passengers to be grounded; the discovery of the snake lead to the passengers being grounded.

*Edit: I should have said that 'getting' was a gerund: 'getting' is the object of the preposition 'to', and therefore is functioning as a noun, a gerund. (Thanks to Thomas Tompion, who pointed this out. :) )

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    I agree with the others. Just to be clear --- Your sentence two is not acceptable.

The original is very standard English.

< Previous | Next >