a tiny fraction of

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hello, everyone.

Can I directly add data after "a tiny fraction of"

In France, Hydro powder and natural gas declined to a tiny fraction of 2 units each by 2000.

Or do I have to write like this:
In France, Hydro powder and natural gas declined, constituting a tiny fraction of the combined total with 2 units each.

I am reporting those chart
The pie charts below show units of electricity production by fuel source in Australia and France in 1980 and 2000.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features ,and make comparisons where relevant.

I don't want to sound wordy!
Thanks

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    When we say "a tiny fraction of X", we generally don't mean that X is a tiny faction of something else, but that we are talking about something that is much smaller than X.
    So you should not say "to a tiny fraction of 2 units" but you could perhaps say "to 2 units each, a tiny fraction of their previous value".

Last edited:

Kacy.H

Chinese
    When we say "a tiny fraction of X", we generally don't mean that X is a tiny faction of something else, but that we are talking about something that is much smaller than X.
    So you should not say "to a tiny fraction of 2 units" but you could perhaps say "to 2 units each, a tiny fraction of their previous value".
    But what I want to say is not "a tiny fraction of their previous value", but "a tiny fraction of total electricity production in 2000".
    So, can I say:
    In France, Hydro powder and natural gas showed a decline, constituting a tiny fraction of total electricity production in 2000 with 2 units each.

Thanks

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    But what I want to say is not "a tiny fraction of their previous value", but "a tiny fraction of total electricity production in 2000".
    I see. Well, if that's what you want to say, then that's what you should say. :)
    showed a decline, constituting a tiny fraction of total electricity production
    No, the way you have used "constituting" after "decline" makes it sound as though the decline itself, not the end value, was a tiny fraction.
    I would suggest something like: "... showed a decline to only 2 units each, representing a tiny fraction of total production." This clarifies both that 2 units was the end value, and that this value was the tiny fraction.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    I see. Well, if that's what you want to say, then that's what you should say. :)

No, the way you have used "constituting" after "decline" makes it sound as though the decline itself, not the end value, was a tiny fraction.
    I would suggest something like: "... showed a decline to only 2 units each, representing a tiny fraction of total production." This clarifies both that 2 units was the end value, and that this value was the tiny fraction.
    thanks. Got it

Kacy.H

Chinese

What if I don't want to include the data-2 units, does this sentence make you confused.
    Hydro powder and natural gas declined and only took up a tiny fraction of total production for 2000.

Thanks

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Yes, that's fine, but "took up" might be better as "made up", and can even be dispensed with. "Declined to a tiny fraction of total production" is fine.

< Previous | Next >