a tipple with our coffee

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Cimarrona, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Cimarrona

Cimarrona Member

Mexico
    Mexican Spanish
    Hello world!

I found this sentence on advices for table manners. My question is related to the underlined part on black:

I brought a bottle of Armagnac to a dinner party so we could all have a tipple with our coffee.

Does it mean they are going to drink coffee WITH Armagnac? (in the same cup)

Because in Mexico some people like drinking coffee with tequila or other alcohol beverage. It is called "café con piquete". This is also used with a delicious and traditional beverage for Christmas time: "ponche con piquete" (Ponche is a kind of tea prepared with different fruits and the alcohol is added when the coffee or ponche is served).

Thanks for your time and help! ;)

Please, correct my English, I am learning! ;)

2. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Hola, Cimarrona :)

No soy nativa, pero diría que, en tu frase, "tipple" significa "una bebida alcohólica"; creo que, en inglés, podría ser "a nip" or "a shot" or "a drop" también. :) ... ¿un traguito?

3. scamper Senior Member

Huesca, Spain
    English
    "Tipple" is a very British word (yes, meaning a cheeky drop of alcohol...) and it is more likely that it would be drank separately, not in the coffee, which is more common in British culture :)

4. Cimarrona

Cimarrona Member

Mexico
    Mexican Spanish
    Hola Anja.Ann

Tienes razón, se refiere a eso. Mi duda es sobre la cultura. ¿Lo acostumbran junto con el café como en México? como explicaba,algunas personas en México les gusta tomar café o ponche CON alcohol (quiero decir juntos en la misma taza, son bebidas calientes con alcohol)

Esperemos a ver si alguien más da más información.

Bonito día! :)

5. SydLexia Senior Member

London, EU
    UK English
    "una copita" ??

syd

6. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Hi, Scamper and hi, SydLexia :)

"A sip of Armagnac"? :) "Un traguito de Armagnac"? :)
    Thank you.

7. Cimarrona

Cimarrona Member

Mexico
    Mexican Spanish
    Hola Scamper & SydLexia

What Scamper says is closer to what I am doubtful, just to be sure, is it a British costume to drink coffe with alcohol?
    Thanks to both of you!
    Have a nice day :)

8. nangueyra Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Castellano-Argentina
    Hola

Por aca decimos "tomar un café con gotas"

Saludos

9. scamper Senior Member

Huesca, Spain
    English
    Hia Cimarrona
    To confirm.....:p
    It is a British custom to have a glass of alcohol (brandy or whisky for example) in a separate glass alongside the coffee NOT IN the coffee, as is common here in Spain for example.
    We sometimes drink "Irish coffee" with alcohol, sugar and cream mixed in with the coffee, but mixing alcohol with coffee is NOT a typical British custom. (and certainly not tequila....!)
    Hope that makes it clear.
    Bye!

10. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    I agree with scamper.
    Furthermore 'with our coffee' makes it plain that the glass of alcohol is alongside the coffee.
    If the alcohol was in the same cup as the coffee it would be more usual to say 'in our coffee'.

11. Cimarrona

Cimarrona Member

Mexico
    Mexican Spanish
    Hello Scamper & Bevj

Totally understood!
    Thank you to all of you. Next time you visit Mexico or a Mexican person, you may try cafe con piquete or even the ponche con piquete! Sometimes, some people drink alcohol IN their coffee, or maybe a delicious hot ponche WITH alcohol. ;)