a Toyota had plainly 'hit the central reservation and'

< Previous | Next >

Jeepster

In France, earlier in the day, I’d seen a pretty big crash. A small Toyota had plainly hit the central reservation and then buried itself underneath a large articulated lorry.

J. Clarkson. The Top Gear Years, Penguin Books Limited 2012
That's where you can read the full text

Did that toyota hit the solid median, barrier or just crossed the central reservation (where in the case tere is no solid median) ? Or there are no definite indications of either in the sentence?

Thank everyone

Last edited:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    The Toyota could have hit the central reservation, bounced off a tree or something else, and hit the lorry on the same side of the reservation from which it had come.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    I did not understand the meaning of reservation in this context until I looked it up in the WR dictionary
    BRIT the strip of land between the two carriageways of a dual carriageway

Copyright

American English
    would it do as it is now?
    Yes, your source is ideal now -- we can not only read the entire passage for more information, we can read it for our own entertainment. Thank you. :)

(And now if you could capitalize the first letters of sentences, that would be perfect.)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I wasn't sure either, until I read your post. It's a median or median strip in AE.
    Usually, but we also have reservations in this sense. Much of Commonwealth Avenue (State Route 30) through Newton (just west of Boston) is divided into a main part (with travel in both directions) and a side part (with westbound vehicle traffic only, for access to homes and stores on the north side of the street, and popular with walkers, runners and cyclists). The grassy area between the two is a reservation. For example, there are signs forbidding parking "on the reservation."

< Previous | Next >