A tragedy out of the blue

< Previous | Next >

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:

Could you please tell me if it's ok to use "A tragedy out of the blue" to express the idea of "a very grave misfortune coming out of nowhere"?
If not, any other more idiomatic way of expressing the idea?

Best wishes.

• dn88

Polish
    Well, it's quite strange that there is still no reply from a native speaker :). But I think it's possible to express it in this way.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Hi, everyone:

Could you please tell me if it's ok to use "A tragedy out of the blue" to express the idea of "a very grave misfortune coming out of nowhere"?
    If not, any other more idiomatic way of expressing the idea?

Best wishes.

"out of the blue" means it happened suddenly and unexpectedly.

If it was a tragedy, a terrible accident that happened suddenly and unexpectedly, it is correct that you can say:

"She was struck head-on in the collision and died instantly. It 's such a tragedy and it happened out of the blue! We're all in shock at the moment."

AngelEyes

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Thank you, AngelEyes:)

btw: I wonder if I could replace "a tragedy that happened out of the blue" with a simpler noun or an idiom.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    You mean something like:

...it was a freak accident that just happened out of the blue...

That's a terrible example, actually, because it's redundant. :rolleyes:

What do you have in mind?

By the way, someone who's upset probably would express himself like the above. That's mainly because he would be suffering from shock and grief, and would probably say words meant to repeat until the truth of them finally sank in.

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >