(a) training camp

Nonn

Japan - japanese
The article 'a' is necessary in
"I am going on a training camp next week" and
"I am attending a training camp tomorrow".

But is it possible to leave out the article in
"I have (a) training camp during the summer vacation"?

Thank you!

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "I am going on a training camp next week." and
    "I am attending a training camp tomorrow."
    I don't understand either sentence, especially the first one. I imagine going on a trip or a tour or a hike or a drive, but not "going on" a camp. I can imagine attending a camp, maybe, if it's an activity. (What kind of training? For what?) Usually a camp is a place where one might spend some time—as, a military training camp.

Nonn

Japan - japanese
    A training camp - a place where people live temporarily and learn or develop skills in a sport.

training camp definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

Someone I know is going to stay somewhere to practice soccer exclusively for a few days. He wrote this in a journal and I was wondering if the article is necessary for the sentence "I have training camp next week."
    It sounds ok to me even though I would add an "a" when used in the first two sentences.

MedaBeda

Czech
    If we say that e.g. football/hockey players were ……………………………………… which one is correct?

a) in a training camp
    b) at a training camp
    c) on a training camp

Oeco

English - US
    So would I use the indefinite pronoun "a". But I would also use it in "I'm going to (a/the) hospital in Br/English. "The missing "a" is informally idiomatic, it seems to me and entirely understandable.

< Previous | Next >