A travel guide to Mexico (is on also an option?)

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

If someone is writing a travel guide to Mexico, is the preposition "to" the only option? I'm asking because books are "on" or "about" something, and yet in this example with a travel guide, I don't think "on" is an option. Or is it?

Thanks for your input!

Sorry about this. I should have checked the BrE and AmE corpora first. I found no examples with "travel guide on" in either.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The preposition is dependent upon the context, and it will change depending on the sentence in which the phrase involved is used.
    "To" in English can be used to express the possessive/associative dative: The key to the door - The answer to the problem.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    When the OP gives the context, it will be easier to give the preposition.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    In AE we usually call a book "a guide to", not "a guide about" or "a guide on". For example:

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (a famous humorous novel and movie)
    - Barstow's Guide to Penguin Species
    - My famous Guide to Downtown Fresno
    - All That Glitters: your guide to Hollywood

In some senses a "guide book" is a "book that guides you". That is where the term comes from.

A "travel guide to Mexico" is a "guide to travelling in Mexico". It is not about ("on") Mexico. It is a guide to travelling as a tourist in Mexico: where to stay, what to visit, where to eat, etc.

susanna76

Romanian
    A "travel guide to Mexico" is a "guide to travelling in Mexico". It is not about ("on") Mexico. It is a guide to travelling as a tourist in Mexico: where to stay, what to visit, where to eat, etc.

Good point! Thank you, dojibear!