A tribute very well paid / spoken

< Previous | Next >

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
At a meeting held to condole the death of a colleague, Mr XYZ speaks very highly of him.

How do I compliment Mr XYZ - A tribute well PAID or A tribute well SPOKEN?

Thank you for your help.

• owlman5

English-US
    I'd use "well spoken", GC.

I'm not sure that Mr XYZ would connect "to pay tribute to somebody" with "well paid." It's too easy to confuse "well paid" with something like "a tribute that you were paid to make."

suzi br

English / England
    Hmmm. I disagree in the sense that "well-spoken" ususally denotes a style of talking, rather than a reflection on a specific speech-act.

I would probably just phrase it differently. If you are talking directly to Mr XYZ you could simply say "That was a very good tribute."

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    Hmmm. I disagree in the sense that "well-spoken" ususally denotes a style of talking, rather than a reflection on a specific speech-act.

I would probably just phrase it differently. If you are talking directly to Mr XYZ you could simply say "That was a very good tribute."
    Thank you, suzi br

goldencypress

India - Malayalam

But I am wondering if a good tribute could be badly delivered and a bad tribute well delivered:oops:

owlman5

English-US
    But I am wondering if a good tribute could be badly delivered and a bad tribute well delivered
    I don't think you need to worry about this, GC. If you tell him that his tribute was "well delivered", he will take it as a compliment.

PS I like "well delivered" more than "well spoken" after "tribute."

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    I don't think you need to worry about this, GC. If you tell him that his tribute was "well delivered", he will take it as a compliment.

PS I like "well delivered" more than "well spoken" after "tribute."
    Thank you owlman 5 . The word "delivered" sprang up accidentally". I agree with you. A tribute well delivered is better.

suzi br

English / England
    It is if all you are bothered about is the style of delivery. If you think the content is good too then you do not over that aspect with "delivered".
    If you omit any verb and just use the noun "tribute" both aspects of content and style can be covered.

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    It is if all you are bothered about is the style of delivery. If you think the content is good too then you do not over that aspect with "delivered".
    If you omit any verb and just use the noun "tribute" both aspects of content and style can be covered.
    Sounds quite convincing

< Previous | Next >