A truly bankable star is worth calling them back about.

filmmaker

Hindi
"There's a reason why "pass" is the operative word for rejection and not "no." It means acquisitions people would be ready to look at your project on another round if something significant changed. A truly bankable star is worth calling them back about. Once you have a star in place, a sales agent can help you target your buyers and get you in the door with acquisitions people and lenders. You still have to sell them as well on the fact that your film is saleable, as they make a living only off commissions from sales."

Book: What they don't teach you at Film School (Landau and White)

I understood the whole paragraph other than the underlined one "A truly bankable star is worth calling them back about." I don't clearly understand what the author means by this. Can someone please help me on this? Thanks.

• The Newt

English - US
    Having a star involved in your project who can draw film-goers is something important enough to justify calling the acquisitions people a second time.

lingobingo

English - England
    It means that even if you’ve only been given a “pass” (technically, a maybe), if a well-known actor agrees to star in the film, it’s worth getting back in touch with the acquisitions people to tell them this.

< Previous | Next >