A turbulent week

< Previous | Next >

TomasD

Croatia-Croatian
Hi everyone,

I was reading a newspaper this morning and on the front page there was an article about the falls in the financial markets that took place this week globally. After 4-5 paragraphs, I read:

Chinese stocks managed to stabilise at the end of a turbulent week after Chinese authorities…

Why 'a turbulent week'? The first paragraphs of the article made it pretty clear the week was turbulent! I guess it's like saying 'Chinese stocks managed to stabilise at the end of what turned out to be a turbulent week'.

Could the journalist have used 'the' instead?
Chinese stocks managed to stabilise at the end of the turbulent week after…

It would have changed the emphasis but still be correct, right?

• apricots

English - US
    It wouldn't sound right with 'the.' Think of it like this: Chinese stocks managed to stabilize at the end of a week that was turbulent. But nobody would phrase it that way so we use 'a turbulent week.'

TomasD

Croatia-Croatian
    Thank you, understood about 'a', but... it would be correct to say: At the end of the turbulent week, Chinese stocks finally managed to stabilise after… No?

What am I missing here?

Last edited:

apricots

English - US
    I guess you could but it sounds odd. It makes turbulent week feel like a proper noun.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I think I agree with Tomas. As he points out, the sentence in question comes only after extensive text discussing a financial week that was turbulent globally. I think at that point, it's the week. and if I were editing it, I'd change it.

< Previous | Next >