a turn of the index finger away

Stephen Schmidt

Arabic
You know how confused dreams are--logic like Dali clocks gone so soft they
lie over the branches of trees like throw-rugs. I put the playing-card bookmark back
between pages 102 and 103--a turn of the index finger away from You funny little man,
said Strickland
now and forever--and rolled onto my side, hanging my head over the edge
of the bed
, meaning to put the book back exactly where I had found it.
Hi, everyone.
This is from Bag of Bones by Stephen King. Can you explain this dream, please? Especially the underlined sentences.
...a turn of the index finger away from You funny little man,said Strickland now and forever......... How was the finger moving over these words?

and rolled [the finger?] onto my side, hanging my head over the edge of the bed........ Is it a giant finger? How did it make the head hang over the edge of the bed?

Thanks in advance.

• Myridon

English - US
    "a turn of the finger" refers to turning the page. The bookmark is one page away from that sentence.
    I put the bookmark (long description of where the bookmark is) and (I) rolled onto my side.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    What is happening in the book? Are you sure this is part of the dream? Could he literally be putting the bookmark on the page at a literal finger-length's distance from that line ("'You funny little man,' said Strickland") in a book (Maugham's The Moon and Sixpence, apparently)?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Note the italics -- and also note where they stop.

"You funny little man, said Strickland" is a line that appears in The Moon and Sixpence.

The bookmark is placed a finger's distance from that line. The bookmark is at that spot now, and the bookmark will stay there forever -- apparently, he will never open the book again.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You haven't really given us enough context to be able to understand what's going on in the scene, Stephen Schmidt.

The narrator's wife (or girlfriend), named Johanna, has died, and he has picked up her copy of The Moon and Sixpence that was sitting next to the bed. King quotes the "funny little man" line several times in the preceding pages, which makes it more understandable here. Johanna's death comes home to him when he realizes she will never read the quoted line.

< Previous | Next >