a turner in a glove factory

Judy Zhu

Chinese
Hi! This word comes from the novel A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. The context please see below:

Flossie supported her mother and brother by working as a turner in a kid-glove factory. The gloves were stitched on the
wrong side and it was her job to turn them right side out. Often she brought work home to do at night.

What puzzled me is that the meaning of "turner" here seems quite different from the dictionary. The dictionary says turner is a person who is skilled in turning wood on a lathe. But here seems nothing to do with wood or lathe. It's all about gloves.
So what does it mean here? Is it a special job in history?

Please help suggest. Thank you!

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    The gloves were stitched on the
    wrong side and
    it was her job to turn them right side out. Often she brought work home to do at night.
    Luckily the writer has provided the definition

Edit : Gloves are still made in this way. It is likely that the operation is now formed mechanically, but it may be that someone still has this job, even if it now has a different name. Note that in this setup there would have been many more people sewing than turning

Wordy McWordface

SSBE (Standard Southern British English)
    There was no need for you to have looked up in turner a dictionary, as the text explains very clearly what this job involved. It seems to be a specific meaning of the term used within the glove-making industry.

Last edited:

Judy Zhu

Chinese
    Thank you all for confirming! I'm translating this novel. I think maybe I need to make up a word in my language or just give it a free translation.
    Thanks again for your help.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The gloves were manufactured "inside out". They had to be turned so the part on the outside was now on the inside.

We call that process, in general, turning something inside out.

If I turn my t-shirt with a logo on it "inside out", now the logo is on the inside. The normal outside is inside and the normal inside is outside.