a TV set

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
When I read this sentence, I always wonder why it is "a TV set". Why not "a TV". What is "set" added for?
"The great number of people in this country nowadays own a TV set."
Thanks.

• paulio

UK, English
    It's a bit old-fashioned. I don't really know why there is 'set' on the end. Perhaps something to do with how a TV was in the 1950s...

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Once upon a time, television programmes arrived via a television aerial and we watched them on a television set.
    :D :thumbsup:
    Isn't "set" the thing that's holding the TV? Or rather, the thing that we put the TV on?

arturolczykowski

Polish
    Television set or television reciver is technical name for what we now call television. The television on the other hand can means TV set, television transmission or content of that transmission.

So you can say: design of television or television design insted of design of TV set.

metric

United States/English, Latin, some Hebrew, some Yiddish
    To me, "set" means "device." I don't think it's old-fashioned to call the thing a "TV set" now. I think now most people just call the thing a "TV," but also "television," in the sense of "I want a new television," or "I want a new TV."

In the 1960s, I heard two very old ladies talking about a "television machine," but they also referred to a "Victrola" when most people referred to a "record player."

< Previous | Next >