a Type-A queen bee

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers,

What's the meaning of "a Type-A queen bee" in the folowing sentence? The sentence is an extract from a recap of episode 1: "Big liitle lies".
Madeline is a type-A queen bee who loves to ruffle feathers.

Thanks in advance.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Did you look in a dictionary, Tenacious Learner? Here's the definition of "Type A" from the WR dictionary:

Type A,

1. of or pertaining to a pattern of behavior characterized by competitiveness, a sense of urgency, impatience, perfectionism, and assertiveness, and possibly associated with an increased risk of heart disease.
    2. of or pertaining to a person who exhibits Type A behavior.

VicNicSor

Russian
    queen bee
    informal a woman who has a dominant or controlling position in a particular group or sphere
    (Oxford Dictionaries)

pob14

American English
    Perhaps others have seen the show, but relying on descriptions I have read, Madeline seems to fit my definition much more closely than being the ruler of anything. (She tries to run over some teens because they are texting while crossing the street, for example.)

Myridon

English - US
    Perhaps others have seen the show, but relying on descriptions I have read, Madeline seems to fit my definition much more closely than being the ruler of anything. (She tries to run over some teens because they are texting while crossing the street, for example.)
    Why "queen bee" instead of just "bee" then? She must be the top B whatever B stands for (bee or bitch).

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    It may independently be true that she's a royal bitch, but I'm afraid I agree with the others that that's not what "queen bee" means in a social context.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Did you look in a dictionary, Tenacious Learner? Here's the definition of "Type A" from the WR dictionary:

Type A,

1. of or pertaining to a pattern of behavior characterized by competitiveness, a sense of urgency, impatience, perfectionism, and assertiveness, and possibly associated with an increased risk of heart disease.
    2. of or pertaining to a person who exhibits Type A behavior.
    Thanks for your help.
    Yes, Florentia, I have looked in dictionaries. maybe my mistake was that I looked for "a Type-A queen bee"; couldn't find it.

TL

Last edited:

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    And "queen bee" = "queen B" = "queen bitch" here.
    I believe yours could be the closest definition in this particular case. What I have put in bold is completely right. I've seen the whole episode.

It may independently be true that she's a royal bitch, but I'm afraid I agree with the others that that's not what "queen bee" means in a social context.
    All right, Glen. As you say it's not what that means in a social context, but maybe in this case it does, doesn't it?

I DO appreciate the other opinions. As usual I always learn from all of them. :thumbsup:

TL

< Previous | Next >