a type of DVD box

• Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    You learn something new every day! I never knew there was even a name for a plastic DVD box other than "a plastic DVD box". I'm going to have to figure out how I can bring the word "amaray" into the conversation...

I would know exactly what you meant if you asked about a cardboard sleeve around a DVD box but I'd be totally in the dark if you asked about a cardboard sleeve around an amaray.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Thanks (I think) for amaray, majlo. I believe they are or were also called jewel cases in colloquial AE. Cardboard sleeve sounds good. It may or may not be "official" trade jargon, but it clearly describes the packaging so that any native speaker will understand you and not give the term any notice.

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Thanks (I think) for amaray, majlo. I believe they are or were also called jewel cases in colloquial AE. Cardboard sleeve sounds good. It may or may not be "official" trade jargon, but it clearly describes the packaging so that any native speaker will understand you and not give the term any notice.
    A jewel case is the rigid plastic box that music CDs come in, just slightly larger than the disk itself, rather than the larger containers, made of a softer plastic, that are a similar shape to a VHS video cassette but thinner. I believe the word you're looking for is "amaray", cuchuflete! :p

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Thanks for the correction, Ms. O'R. I did a little looking and learned that Amaray® is the manufacturer that invented them, and the term has been Kleenexed/Hoovered/Xeroxed.

For non-natives, that means it has become generic.

< Previous | Next >