a universal god

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Some took him to be a universal god
(English guides 3: articles)

means: "Some consider him as a universal god", right?
This is an example of pronunciation "a" before "universal" and it doesn't explain the use of an article here.
So, why does the "universal god" take "a"? I'd say that "Universal god" is something singular.

Thanks.

• Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    "Some took him to be a universal god" means "Some considered him Ø a universal god."

I'd say that "Universal god" is something singular. And in fact "a" is used with singular count nouns.
    Maybe you are thinking of "unique" instead?
    GS

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    There have been, in the history of mankind, many gods: private gods, family gods, gods which inhabit specific places and belong to specific races. A universal god is just one of them. People who have this belief may use the word "god" as the name of their god, so like all names they will give it capital letters. They may say that the one they believe in is Universal God.

But it seems that the writer of the English guide didn't have that view in mind.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    But it seems that the writer of the English guide didn't have that view in mind.
    I'd say:
    "Some took him to be a universal god" -- they believed that there are many gods and he was one of them.
    "Some took him to be the universal god" -- they believed that there is the only one god and he was this god.
    Maybe you are thinking of "unique" instead?
    GS
    Yes, I meant:
    singular:
    3) unique
    (Collins English Dictionary. 8th Edition):)

Thank you for answers

< Previous | Next >