a valve of a cylinder opened, presumably by mistake

< Previous | Next >

Leafka

Polish
Hi,

this is a part of my own text:

'On January 12, 2015, two workers died and four suffered injuries from suffocation as a result of a nitrogen leak at a factory operated by LG Display Co. Ltd (LG Display) in Paju, South Korea. One of the injured workers remains in serious condition. According to media reports, the accident occurred when a valve of a nitrogen gas cylinder opened, presumably by mistake, during routine maintenance work conducted by LG Display workers and subcontractors.'

I am wondering if I can say that a valve opened by mistake? I know a person can do something by mistake; can a valve 'make a mistake' as well?

• Myridon

English - US
    "... a valve was opened by mistake ..." :tick: Someone opened the valve by mistake.
    "... a valve opened by mistake ..." :confused: The valve opened without any outside help. Maybe. The valve made a mistake. Very unlikely.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    No, a valve can't make a mistake. Either the valve was opened by mistake (by a person, or possibly due to a computer error), or the valve malfunctioned and came open.

[Cross-posted with Myridon]

Leafka

Polish
    Of course, I understand a valve cannot literally make a mistake :) I think I will omit the part in my text. Thanks!

< Previous | Next >