a venue

< Previous | Next >

Elle Paris

American English
When I left California in 1969, no one used this term. Now we have to find a venue for a party; the stadium is a great venue for a concert; that church is not a venue for such a show, etc...
Can anyone shed light on how and when it came into exisitance and replaced "place"?

• owlman5

English-US
    I've also noted a rise in popularity for this formerly uncommon word. People are using it with this meaning, which came from M-W's unabridged online version:

b : the locale of a past or projected real or imaginary event; especially : a place designated to be the scene of a proposed gathering (as for a sports event or a political conference)

Nowadays it seems that people speak of "venues" for even sparsely-attended events such as Elks' Club fundraisers, garage sales, etc. :)

Spira

Banned
    UK English
    Venue is a term that I have known all my life in the UK (which means being conscious of it since the 60s). In my experience most frequently used around sports events, but it can obviously have a wider use.
    Presumably a confused and bastardized deformation of the French past participle of the verb VENIR, meaning to come.

sdgraham

USA English
    It's a common term for organizers of the Olympic Games (referring to the locations of the various events). I first experienced heavy usage of the term at the Olympics in Los Angeles in 1984.

Since journalists tend to parrot their sources, I suspect the Olympics over the years might have had something to do with it.

< Previous | Next >