a verb to describe get drunk

< Previous | Next >

Morecoffee

Chinese
Hello teachers
I am looking for a verb that can describe somebody get drunk.
For exemple, Tom only drank a beer. His friend thought he was drunk. So his friend asked him "Are you OK?"
Tom was fine and wasn't drunk. So he said "I'm OK. One beer won't what verb??? me "

I looked up the oxfordictionary and couldn't find an appropriate verb or phrase in the context. Could you please suggest one in the context?

Thank you so much

• Copyright

American English
    On a medical level, you could say: "One beer won't intoxicate me." But in your context, I see Tom saying: "I'm OK. One beer won't get me drunk." (American bar English)

Cross-posted quite agreeably. :)

manfy

German - Austria
    Another alternative is 'inebriate'. But that's even less comon than intoxicate (but it can be heard/read in its adjectival form 'inebriated' occasionally).

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    For example, Tom only drank a beer. His friend thought he was drunk. So his friend asked him "Are you OK?"
    Tom was fine and wasn't drunk. So he said "I'm OK. One beer won't what verb??? me "

In colloquial BE you can say "One beer won't hurt me" with the meaning you suggest. It's a common idiom, and in connection with alcoholic drinks it usually is taken to mean "won't get me drunk".

< Previous | Next >