a veritable field day for armchair psychologists

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Failed to get the collocation of "field day" and "armchair", in which there is no cluse how one sitting in an armchair goes to field.

It may be figurative. It seems to mean "a completely special day for indoor psychologiests." I am not sure.

Thanks in advance

Of Psychopaths and Presidential Candidates
An analysis in the current Scientific American MIND shows where some of this year's aspirants rank on a standard assessment of psychopathic traits—and the results are interesting, to say the least

Election 2016 has turned out to be a veritable field day for armchair psychologists—and some professionals, too.

-Scientific American
Source

• waltern

English - USA
    Try looking up the definitions of "field day" (esp. definition #3) and "armchair" (adj.) in the WR dictionary and let us know if they don't help.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Try looking up the definitions of "field day" (esp. definition #3) and "armchair" (adj.) in the WR dictionary and let us know if they don't help.
    I've checked them out (see the attached).

It seems that "armchair psychologists" refer to "psychologists who engage idle theorizing" and the election turns out to be an exciting example for them to verify their psychological theories.

Am I on the right track?

==========Attached===========

Field day: WRF#3: a day for military exercises and display.
    There, the Collins' seems more suitable:

#3 informal a day or time of exciting or successful activity: the children had a field day with their new toys.

armchair: WRF adj.
    1. theorizing without the benefit of practical experience:an armchair football coach.
    2. participating or experiencing indirectly or vicariously:an armchair traveler.

waltern

English - USA
    I think you have the right idea - here a "field day" is a "an exciting time"; "armchair psychologists" are not actual psychologists, but amateurs who like to theorize about psychology (they might read books about psychology while sitting at home in their armchairs in their spare time - see "armchair traveler".)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >