A very demanding definition of social support

< Previous | Next >

Jin akashini

vietnamese
Hi every one,

I'm reading World Happiness Report 2017, and I would like to ask you the meaning of this phase :" Ta very demanding definition of social support, as revealed by "

" Having just one person to count on is not a very demanding definition of social support, as revealed by the large number of countries where more than 90% of respondents have someone to count on”

I don’t get what “a very demanding definition of social support, as revealed by…)…please give me clear explanation (tho I understand every word).

I wonder whether "as revealed by the large number of countries" means "in the large number of countries"

(here is the link for your reference: http://www.shemsfm.net/uploads/FCK_files/happiness.pdf)

Many thanks,

• The Newt

English - US
    It means that defining "social support" so broadly that even having one person you can depend on qualifies is, as we say, "setting a low bar" (imagine a horse race where the horses have to jump over a bar that's only two inches high).

"As revealed by" is correct; the issue isn't what takes place in those countries, but what we learn from / by studying the statistics about those countries.

< Previous | Next >