A very good body shape

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I heard a tutor say the following when a young woman passed by him:

She has a very good body shape.

I wonder if it’s very colloquial and natural in your language.

Thoughts:

The meaning is clear to me, but I don’t think it’s fine. He wants to say that the woman who passed by her has the height, weight and some other body parts that could meet his standard of a sexy, perhaps woman or a beautiful woman.

I need your help.

Thanks a lot

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, this tends to have less to do with height than to do with the proportions of the body parts. People often talk about hourglass figures (full bust and hips with a narrow waist), apple shapes (large waist), pear shapes (bigger hips) and so on.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    To answer your question, silver, No, I don't the sentence you quoted sounds colloquial. It sounds like it was spoken by someone whose native language is not English.
    A more common expression might be:
    She has a lovely figure!

I'm sure there are many others.

Silver

Thanks a lot, Nat and Joan.

Perhaps in Singapore people would say "a very good body shape", while in the US, it's not natural.

I also think "lovely" has so many meanings and here the meaning is implicit, am I right?

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Well, I'm not sure I know what you mean about implicit. I was assuming that your original statement was meant as a compliment.

I just offered another version of the same compliment, in language that sounds more natural to me.

Silver

Thanks a lot, by the time I said the word, I realized I'd made a mistake. I wanted to say that everyone has a different understanding of "good" shape, so lovely here might have various meanings.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    All of these examples sound clinical, prim, or otherwise phony to me. Here are some things I can actually imagine a normal, young guy saying on the street:

"Dude, what a body!"
    "Check out the body on that girl!"
    "Hey, that's a fine-looking chick!"

Silver

Uh-huh, very colloquial, Glen. Thanks a lot

Actually when I'm reading your comments, I'm smiling. :)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    She has a very good body shape.
    Certainly not a remark an American man would make (unless, perhaps, he was a gymnastics instructor or one of those surgeons specializing in liposuction).
    One guy to another would say something more like Glen has suggested in post #7, perhaps with more specifics about body parts than he has spelled out there.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    My comment was about the meaning of the phrase rather than on whether it was a common thing to say. And I agree that it is a detached remark. Some people do make detached or ironic remarks.

< Previous | Next >