a very intelligent man: and alone in the army, as such a man is: a passionate man in his way

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 318, chapter 15) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Mellors said he loved his colonel, and Connie asked Mellors to tell something about his colonel.Mellors said"what is there to tell……" )
‘What is there to tell? He had risen from the ranks. He loved the army. And he had never married. He was twenty years older than me. He was a very intelligent man: and alone in the army, as such a man is: a passionate man in his way: and a very clever officer. I lived under his spell while I was with him. I sort of let him run my life. And I never regret it.’

The part in blue is a little confusing. Now I rephrase it as:
a very intelligent man
; and (he was always) alone in the army, a man is as such(=as such a man is); he was a passionate to a certain extent(=in his way)
And I feel the colons are old-fashioned usage, which can be replaced with semicolons

Could you please give me some help?
Thank you in advance

• AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    The "as such a man is" could have to do with him being alone in the army because of his background, not having friends among the other officers, as there were not many officers that had risen from the tanks before Word War I, just about 2%. The colonel probably came from a more humble background than the other officers.

(Correcting autocorrection.)

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think it means that an intelligent man of humble origins, who was promoted to officer rank on the basis of his intelligence, would have found himself alone - "alone" or "not belonging" among the men, nor among the officers.

(Agreeing with AO.)

longxianchen

chinese
    I think I have got it. As such a man is=as all the men of this kind are. And in his way=to a certain extend.:thumbsup:Thank you again

< Previous | Next >