a very interesting book ,<one/ the one> I have never read [pronoun 'one']

jnzovy

korean-english
I think it is a very interesting book which is well worth reading, ____ I have never read before.

The answer to this problem is " one".
I choose " the one" because it refers to the noun mentioned , "a very interesting book~".
Why is " one" the answer and what's the difference between "one" and
"the one"?
Thank you in advance.

• lian.alon22

US
    US-English
    In this case, I'm not sure this is a pronoun, but rather an adjective, modifying "a ... book", which accounts for the comma, separating it from the previous adjective, but I could be wrong.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The always specifies a single item. Your sentence says : It is a ... book (a means "one of many that exist"). It is one I have not read before.

If you say "It is the book (or "the one") I have never read before", you are saying you have read every other book that exists except this one :D

Momay

Uzbek
    I would say 'I think it is a very interesting book which is well worth reading, that I have never read before.' but i could be wrong

lian.alon22

US
    US-English
    Oh, no, I wouldn't use "that", it's so awkward. It may be technically correct, I don't know, but it certainly doesn't lend as much strength as "one" does to the second part of the sentence.

jnzovy

korean-english
    Thank you for all your replies:)
    I agree that what is used is not "the" but "a" but a book is modified by the adjective clause" which is worth reading". Therefore it can be a specific book and can be "the book". what do you think~?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    If you say "one I have never read before", one is the same as "a book".
    I think it is a very interesting book which is well worth reading, [and it is] a book I have never read before.
    If you say "the one I have never read before, the one is the same as "the one book" (= the only book).
    I think it is a very interesting book which is well worth reading, [and it is] the one book (=the only book) I have never read before.​

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Simplify it a bit to show the difference: The book is one I have never read before. Here 'the' is used because you're referring to this one book. What you're saying about it is that it's one (out of many) that has some property.

< Previous | Next >