a very strong man

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, what do you call a strong man in your language (slang, informal expressions welcomed)?

Hungarian
vasgyúró [vas iron + gyúró "kneader", i.e: iron-kneader]
izompacsirta [izom muscle + pacsirta sparrow]

Czech
lamželezo [lámat break + železo iron, i.e: iron-breaker]
hromotluk [hrom thunder + tlučet beat, i.e: thunder-beater]

Thanks.

• ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    The references to iron remind me of 'ijzervreter' in Dutch (iron-eater), but that refers to a person who is not really afraid. But of course those are strong in general.

I also find references to 'klerenkast/ kleerkast' (clothes cupboard, lit., so like wardrobe), and mythological figures such as Hercules or fictitious characters such as 'Tarzan'. Not what you are looking for, I suppose...

810senior

Japanese
    In Japanese:
    (mostly as slang)
    ガチムチ系, ガチムチ男gachimuchi kei, gachimuchi otoko (muscular style, muscular man)
    マッチョ, マッチョマンmaccho, maccho man (macho, macho man)

I love the phrase about this originating from the COMMANDO where the voices are translated in Japanese:
    筋肉モリモリマッチョマンの変態kinniku morimori macchoman no hentai(the pervert who's muscular vigorous man) *original says:he's one gigantic motherxxcker.

It's a well-known phrase as an internet meme in Japan as well.

apmoy70

Greek
    Greek:

«Σφίχτερμαν» [ˈsfixterman] (masc.), slangy language, a hybrid: MoGr adj. «σφιχτός» [sfiˈxtos] --> thick, firm, tense, taut < Classical deverbal adj. «σφιγκτός» spʰĭŋktós (same meanings) < Classical v. «σφίγγω» spʰíŋgō --> to bind, embrace, jam in (with obscure etymology) + Eng. man; «σφίχτερμαν» is the strongman who displays his developed musculature in public.

«Κορμοράνος» [kormoˈɾanos] (masc.), which formally refers to the bird Cormorant (genus Phalacrocoracidae), but in slangy language is the strongman < MoGr neut. noun «κορμί» [korˈmi] --> body, physique, human torso, bod < Byz. Gr. neut. «κορμίον» kormíon < Classical deverbal masc. noun «κορμός» kŏrmós --> clump, trunk, human torso < Classical v. «κείρω» keírō --> to cut off hair, shave, mow off, cut down (PIE *(s)ker- to cut cf Hitt. karš- to cut off; Alb. shqerr, to tear apart; Lith. atskirti, to separate, discern).

«Σβάρτσος» [ˈsvart͡sos] (masc.) < from Arnie's surname (Arnold Schwarzenegger).

Decades ago, the strongman was either an «Ηρακλής» [iɾaˈklis] (masc.) --> Hercules, a «Μασίστας» [maˈsistas] (masc.) --> Maciste or a «Κουταλιανός» [kutaʎaˈnos] (masc.), a real person (Panagis Koutalianos) a man of Herculean power who lived in the middle of the 19th c.; he travelled Europe and North America as a weight lifter and wrestler, became a legend, and his name was synonymous with strongman in early-middle 20th c. Greece.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian words come to mind:
    качок /katchok/ - from the verb качать (to rock/to pump), one who pumps weights
    мордоворот /mordovorot/ - from морда (slang for face) and воротить (to turn/skew/make uneven/ - face-breaker
    богатырь /bogatyr/ - a warrior from Russian folklore (many think that it comes from богатый/rich, but in has nothing to do with it, it comes from a Turkic honorific).

I'd say, only the last one is positive.

Last edited:

Armas

Finnish
    Finnish

kaappi = cabinet, closet, locker, cupboard
    patti = lump
    körmy, untranslatable
    köriläs, untranslatable

The first two are slang, the last two colloquial.

apmoy70

Greek
    my dictionary says "cormorant" < LAT.: corvus marinus
    The name of the bird is indeed a contraction of the two Latin words, but in slangy Greek, «κορμοράνος» (when referring to the strongman) derives from «κορμί»/«κορμός»

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Nice observation, thanks...I think we all would appreciate other's help and correction here....too bad, people do not care...we are here to learn not to chat :)

ger4

German
    German: Schrank ('wardrobe', as in Dutch) or Bär ('bear'). Perhaps a Bär is a bit similar to the Czech 'thunder-beater': big and bulky, probably strong (even though that's just implied) but maybe rather clumsy and not necessarily a skilled fighter. - Apart from that, there is the Muskelprotz (Muskel = muscle, Protz < protzen = to show off) and the universal Macho (who might just pretend to be strong).

SuperXW

1. literal
    強壯的男人
    2. fixed terms
    猛男(hunk)
    筋肉人(borrowed from Japanese I guess)
    肌肉男(muscle man)
    健美先生
    Mainland Chinese is a bit different to Taiwanese Chinese.
    Only 猛男, 肌肉男 are commonly used.
    Also, 壮男 "strong male".

In addition, Chinese traditionally use 汉 to refer to a physical-worker male.
    So there are also:
    壮汉 "strong man"
    彪形大汉 idiom: "tiger-like big man".

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    The references to iron remind me of 'ijzervreter' in Dutch (iron-eater), but that refers to a person who is not really afraid. But of course those are strong in general.

I also find references to 'klerenkast/ kleerkast' (clothes cupboard, lit., so like wardrobe), and mythological figures such as Hercules or fictitious characters such as 'Tarzan'. Not what you are looking for, I suppose...
    I thought of leeuw (lion) but that refers to bravery rather...

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    There is a Czech word almara ("Schrank") but I think it is used only for strong women only
    Czech: almara f. (< Lat. armaria, wardrobe, шкаф) or kredenc f. (< Ger. Kredenz < credenza, cupboard, sideboard) is a huge, oversized woman (not too flattering);

mataripis

Strong in Modern Tagalog is Malakas. Strong Man is Malakas na Tao.A very strong man is Napakalakas na Tao. The older form Kalakasan is still used in Southern Tagalog. A very strong Person in Southern Tagalog is Kalakas na Tao. ( physical and hidden powers and talents)

< Previous | Next >